Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hi there!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hi there!

Postby Shani » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi there! I am somewhat of an odd one out at the moment. I own a cockatiel, but it doesn't currently reside with me - making my home at the moment tragically birdless D:

I happened upon a very reputable parrot breeder (only 40 minutes away to boot), who had university qualifications coming out of her ears (she was an associate lecturer in animal health, doing a phd, and had an honors degree in animal science - or something, the list was very long). The current birds she was breeding were sun conures, rainbow lorikeets, quaker parrots, and cockatiels. I'd completely forgotten (somehow) about cockatiels as a possibility. Needless to say, I took one look at the baby cockatiels on her website, and I was smitten.

So, an appointment was arranged to see the babies last week. I will say, the bird's cages were immaculate - food was freshly prepared (fresh veggies + pellets and a little seed), the birds were well socialized (the breeder's own cockatiel had the cutest dance), and the babies - my goodness. I told her I wanted to choose mine based on personality, and that resulted in me having 10 3 - 4 week old cockatiels placed in a box on my lap. Dear god. I have never experienced anything so cute.

Anyway - I was just watching them with this look on my face :shock: and a little reverse cinnamon pied just got my attention. The cheeky little thing was one of the younger ones, yet was probably one of the most boisterous, and just wouldn't stop looking at me. The others were busy doing typical baby bird things, but this one's eyes were just deadlocked on mine. I put my hand in the box, and the cheeky little pied decided to try and climb into my hand, then proceeded to try and nom on my engagement ring! The others were cute, but that little guy/girl just stood out.

So yeah, that's my baby. The breeder's going to get the babies DNA sexed this week, so I'll be able to give him/her a sex appropriate name (Barney if it's a boy, Kali if a girl are the top two names we've thought of so far) and I'll be going to see my little bub on a weekly basis until I can take him/her home when it's weaned. I will have pictures from this week onwards, and will be happy to post them here when I get them if you guys would like to see them :D

Can't wait to meet you all, and terribly sorry for rambling on!
Last edited by Shani on Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shani
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Hi there!

Postby born2fly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Welcome

Someone is excited :hatched: :mrgreen:
"If man can save the parrots, he may yet save himself"
Mike Reynolds, World Parrot Trust Founder
http://www.parrots.org
:gcc: - WALL-E :redbelly: - Buddy
born2fly
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure (M)
Red-bellied Parrot (M)

Postby Shani » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Haha, indeed :lol:
Shani
Conure

Postby Jenny » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:08 pm

no one blames you for being excited! Please post pictures - we'd love to see them. I have a cockatiel also, but he came to me as a rescued adult, so I never got the pleasure of seeing him as a baby. He's a grey pied. One of these days, I'll get some pictures up!

Welcome!! :D
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Shani » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:12 pm

I will, don't worry :D and thankyou! The breeder said she'd send me some pictures each week, and if she doesn't have the time I'm heading out there this coming weekend, and will take some of my own... or a lot of my own, haha.
Shani
Conure

Postby zazanomore » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:54 pm

I love when fate intervenes with our plans
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup: