Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello all from Alberta, Canada

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Hello all from Alberta, Canada

Postby Roger P » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:38 pm

Hello to all forum members! I have been visiting the forum for a while and figured it was past time I joined in the fun. My name is Roger. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and since September 3, 2010 I am proud to be owned by Merlin, my Maroon Bellied Conure (born May 15, 2010). I haven't seen any other MBC owners on the forum so far, but the number of GCC owners I have seen have me encouraged that there are plenty of great resources here, in addition to all the other members.

I have only been kept by birds for a little over three years. My first experience did not end well, as I lost my first bird Tucker (Cockatiel) after only three years. I have a house full of animals (dog, 2 cats, 2 gerbils, 2 boys), but could not stand to walk past an empty cage for more than a few months, so in stepped Merlin. Not knowing anything about birds three years ago, I figured I would start with a Cockatiel. Although it did not end well (still not sure what happened, he was fine in the morning and gone in the afternoon), I decided that with what I had learned I was ready for a new experience with a bird. And am I ever glad I got Merlin! He is so entertaining and interactive, and so eager to learn! He has already learned to turn, nod, shake, the bat, and we are working on showing off his wings right now.

I am still early in my learning about birds in general and MBC`s in particular, and I am anticipating that this forum will be a great place to learn and occasionally pass on tidbits of information I have managed to pick up. I am glad to have found you all and look forward to speaking with you about our feathered friends. I will post my avatar as soon as I get a decent picture of Merlin and me (provided he can sit still long enough).

(this is as close an image as you have available for a MBC) :gcc:
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Hello all from Alberta, Canada

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:29 am

Welcome to the forum!! :D
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:56 am

Hi Roger! When I was a little girl, my family lived around Edmonton. I have lovely childhood memories of my years in Canada.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to your avatar/pictures of Merlin :) (I can't get my bird to stay still long enough for a decent picture either :roll: )
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby Roger P » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks for the welcome, it's great to have someone to bounce ideas off, and ask questions as they come up. Anybody have any feedback, positive or negative, with value in joining a local bird club? It seems to me as likely a good idea, but I have also received feedback locally that some are too "political" to be worthwhile. Any advice on what to look for to determine if they are a "good" club or "bad" club?
:gcc:
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure

Return to Introductions