Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Finally a Poi Owner!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Finally a Poi Owner!

Postby Mom2Rico » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Hello everyone! My name is Sarah and I'm 29...married to the most wonderful man in the world for almost 10 years now. I have experience with many different types of animals, have 2 dogs and 2 cats of our own, and I used to have a dog grooming business. I've had different types of birds, but haven't had any for a couple of years...until today :)
Today I adopted Rico (formerly Chico...), a beautiful Senegal. He is such a sweetie, so adorable. I've wanted to get some kind of poicephalus for a very long time, years even, and today I found my buddy :senegal: . He was being rehomed because the former owners also had a Macaw and the two birds didn't get along, so they couldn't let the two out at the same time and felt it wasn't fair to Rico. He's 2 years old, seems healthy, though he's been fed all seed...which will slowly change now that I'm his new mom :). They also smoked in the house, which we don't, so hopefully he'll feel better too. he came with a cockatiel sized cage, but I'd gotten a much larger cage that he should be quite comfortable in.

So far he's been quite sweet, though he is quite cage territorial, which the previous owners warned me about. I haven't bugged him much tonight though since I want him to relax. I will post pictures tomorrow.

I see that this board is fairly active with recent posts which is great! I hope to get to know you and learn from everyone!

ETA:I put "flight" down as "yes", though right now he's not flighted...his wings are clipped but only on one side which kind of sucks. I do hope to intentionally allow him to fly, once he's comfortable with everyone. :)
Mom2Rico
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Finally a Poi Owner!

Postby Roger P » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:21 pm

Welcome to you and your new Fid. You will find lots of Senegal owners here for any discussions you may want to have. There are many breeders, and we even have a vet "on staff" for those medical questions. It has been great learning for me, and a great place to ask questions and bounce ideas off other bird owners.
Merlin - Maroon Bellied Conure

Birds are a miracle because they prove to us there is a finer, simpler state of being which we may strive to attain.
Doug Coupland
Roger P
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Maroon Bellied Conure

Postby captwest » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:16 am

hey Sarah, welcome to the forum. sounds like you have lots in common with many forum members, i'm sure you'll find lots of birdie freinds on here.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:34 am

Welcome to the board Sarah and Rico! Happy to hear that Rico will have a better home .... especially a better diet and a smoke free house. We'd love to see pictures when you have a chance to post.

You will find quiet a few poi fans on this board ... I have three myself. Lucy, our female Red Belly joined first and she's 5 1/2 years old. Jessie, our male (although not DNA sexed) Senegal followed a few months later ... he's almost 5 years old. And we just added Kylie, a 2 1/2 year old female Meyers in October. I love pois ... they are perfect in size and come with oversized personalities.

Can't wait to hear more about Rico :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Mom2Rico » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 am

Thanks for the warm welcomes! As promised and requested, here are some pictures of my Rico :)
Attachments
Rico (3).JPG
Rico (3).JPG (47.59 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Rico (8).JPG
Rico (8).JPG (60.73 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Rico (5).JPG
Rico (5).JPG (48.13 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
Mom2Rico
Parrotlet

Postby lzver » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:31 am

Rico is beautiful and such a cutie!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Mom2Rico » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:51 am

Thank you, I think so too :) This morning he enjoyed a breakfast of whole wheat toast, carrots and apples...a nice variation from the seed he's used to I'm sure :D He seemed to love everything :thumbsup:
Mom2Rico
Parrotlet

Return to Introductions