Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island here!

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Rhode Island here!

Postby JeffJA1970 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:12 am

Hi all...

Came across this board while trying to Google greater vasa parrot breeders. Reading through some of the posts here, it looks like a nice group of folks and maybe a great resource, so I decided to go ahead and register. So here I am! :D

Jeff here, from Providence, RI. 40 years old and have kept birds for over 30 years now. I guess a little introduction might be in order...

My first birds, as is true of so many people, were parakeets -- a gift I recieved at 10 years old, and who lived with me and my family for the next 6 to 8 years. In high school and college in the mid 80's through early 90's, I worked in a small, "mom and pop" retail pet shop where it quickly became my main job to "wrangle" the new parrots that came into the store (we didn't get a lot of hand-fed parrots before 1990) -- clipping their wings, stick training and eventually hand taming them, and generally getting them ready for their new lives as companion animals. Came away from that experience with pretty roughed-up hands, a healthy respect for and understanding of parrots, and a life-long love for big beaks and goofy avian personalities. My parents were pretty understanding folks, and I always had a menagerie around the house -- from raccoons in the bathroom to geese in the swimming pool, and everything in between.

By the late 90's, I was in a long-term relationship, owned a home, and shared it with a whole flock of large birds, including a young pair of vasa parrots, which I had hoped to breed. Unfortunately, the best laid plans didn't work out, and I lost all those wonderful birds (and the house) when the relationship ended, and so I found myself birdless for a few years.

Since 2004, I've had the good fortune to find another life, another relationship, another home, and another flock of parrots with whom to share my life. Phoebe the Congo grey :gray: , Rufus the Cape (Un-Cape) parrot, NuNu the cockatiel, Smurf the parrotlet, and a variety of finch species now liven up our home and lives, and I've never been happier. I've attached photos of Phoebe, Rufus, and Smurf (NuNu is a little camera shy! :P )

Of all the birds I lost in my previous life, my favorite was Elvis, my Greater Vasa male. I've known some pretty amazing feathered folk, past and present -- but Elvis and I had a bond which I've not found since. He was a goofy, loveable, amazingly interesting bird who, from the moment he stepped out of his crate at the airport, melted my heart and was my constant companion. Which is why I'm looking to add a male vasa as my next (and last, I think) avian housemate. Which is why I was doing an internet search on vasas, which is how I found this board. Which I'm hoping might end up being a pretty great place to hang out in internet-world!!! :thumbsup:

So that's me and my story in 1000 words or less. There's a lot more to tell, obviously, but I'm trying to keep it short enough to not put anyone to sleep. Feel free to drop me a line if you'd like, to talk parrots, vasas, or anything else. Anyone who's a bird person is likely pretty OK in my book!!!

Thanks for reading, great to "meet" you all, and have a Happy New Year!!!

Jeff
PB110017_edited.jpg
Phoebe
PB110017_edited.jpg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
DSC00123_edited.jpg
Rufus
DSC00123_edited.jpg (121.34 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
PA110236_edited.jpg
Smurf
PA110236_edited.jpg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 3483 times
"The parrot holds its food for prim consumption as daintily as any debutante, [with] a predilection for pot roast, hashed-brown potatoes, duck skin, butter, hoisin sauce, sesame seed oil, bananas and human thumb.”
Alexander Theroux
JeffJA1970
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 50
Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey, Cape parrot, cockatiel, Blue Pacific parrotlet, MANY finches! :)
Flight: No

Re: Rhode Island here!

Postby michellet » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:35 am

Hi and welcome, from Adelaide, Australia :)
Feathered kids
:budgie: Charlie (tame)
:budgie: Snowy (tame)
:gcc: Missy (tame)
:pied: Skittles (tame)

Non-feathered kids
Emma - 14yo
Tom - 11yo

Michelle - Me :)
michellet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: budgies
cinnamon green cheek conure
lutino cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Postby Jenny » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:09 am

great intro, Jeff - welcome! Happy to see a new member w/so many years of birdie experience. You're a great resource for those of us that are new to birds. & love the pictures - especially the one of Rufus! :D
Jenny
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby lzver » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Welcome to the board Jeff! The pictures of Phoebe, Rufus and Smurf are beautiful.

There are a lot of great bird people here with lots of knowledge to share.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby captwest » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Hey Jeff and welcome to the forum, My Flock and wife, live in coastal NC. We're sorta Amazon people but also have TAGs,Cockatiels,Quakers and IRN, some as pets and others as breeders.We have lots of new owners join here and ask lots of questions about their new pets, Maybe you can help some out! any way good to have you here, Richard.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby JeffJA1970 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Thanks so much for all the welcomes, folks...what a friendly bunch! I'll pass along the compliments on the photos to my birds when I get home this evening -- they already know how gorgeous they are, but they STILL like to hear it from time to time! :roll: You all have great looking birds, as well -- love sharing photos!

Definitely willing to share my input with anyone who might have questions, for whatever it's worth. But since I also feel there's LOTS more to be learned, and enjoy the opportunity to do so, I'm looking forward to hearing other folks' experiences, and maybe bringing some of my parrot challenges to the group as they occur (although everyone seems to be pretty even keel at the moment in my world (:knocks wood:).

Thanks again for the responses, and for the smiles I got from reading them. Really looking forward to being part of the group.
"The parrot holds its food for prim consumption as daintily as any debutante, [with] a predilection for pot roast, hashed-brown potatoes, duck skin, butter, hoisin sauce, sesame seed oil, bananas and human thumb.”
Alexander Theroux
JeffJA1970
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Congo grey, Cape parrot, cockatiel, Blue Pacific parrotlet, MANY finches! :)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:09 pm

Scotty says "Hi" to Rufus!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby JeffJA1970 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:13 pm

And Rufus says hi to Scotty, and wants to know where he got a Cape parrot avatar!!! :thumbsup:
Alexander Theroux
JeffJA1970
Parakeet

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Click "View more smilies" at the bottom of the Smilies panel. Or type : cape : without the spaces between the : and the word. :cape:
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby JeffJA1970 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Great...thanks so much, to Scotty AND to you!!! :cape:
Alexander Theroux
JeffJA1970
Parakeet

Return to Introductions