Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

NEW From TEXAS

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

NEW From TEXAS

Postby ghostrider1964 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I am fairly new to parrots but with 4 birds I am getting experience quickly. My flock ranges from a 22 year old Amazon named Sassy to a newly acquired Timneh Grey, Layla. My favorite is my Military Macaw, Charlie. I had not planned to buy her but she kept coming down off her perch and following me around the parrot shop I had gone to looking for a Grey to purchase. As fate would have it, all my birds have been hand me downs except Charlie. Sassy came to me first from a friend that was moving to Washington. I had gone by his office to visit with him and he noticed I was scratching Sassy. He said that no one else has been able to touch her but him. At that moment, he asked me to take her until he could work out other arrangement if I did not want her. At 22 years olds she gets a bit of attitude, hence the name Sassy :amazon: Next came the Goffin Cockatoo from a lady that just could not take care of him or spend time with him. I her for paid for him. He loves everyone and wants to be the center of attention. Charlie, came next and was truly the only bird I bought just straight out. The Timneh(Layla) came to me from a couple that had took their young bird to a local vetinarian and had her beak trimmed by burning it :o They said the bird had been sweet until then and then become extremely aggressive. I have always been good with animals and taken in more strays than I can even remember. The bird was very aggressive and tried to bite anyone that got close. After 2 weeks working with it everyday I have not got it to where I can handle it. I see why these birds are noted for intelligence. My Amazon was already talking good when I got her, but I want to try to get the other birds more vocal. Layla has become obsessed with electronic beeps and replicate microwave and smoke alarm beeps perfectly. The macaw tries to bark like a dog or cluck like a chicken :roll: I have raised chickens for years and have about 50 of those in the back yard. Just figure thie might be a place to get ideas or learn from others :thumbsup:
ghostrider1964
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Military Macaw, Yellow Crowned Amazon, Timneh African Grey, and Goffin Cockatoo
Flight: No

Return to Introductions