Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

hairdryers

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

hairdryers

Postby kimbo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:03 pm

does anyone use hairdryers on their bird ? ive just read on another forum that they contain teflon. ive never used one on chico as he drys quickly. does anyone know if its true?. i do know hair straighteners have teflon in them. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal
Flight: No

Re: hairdryers

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:50 pm

Some do, some don't. However, that's not the only issue. It's also dangerous because they can overheat the parrot and even if they don't they can over dry the skin. If the temperature in the room is over 70F, I don't think you have to do anything. Maybe towel the bird just to get some water off. If it's below 65F, I don't think you should be showering the bird at all cause it will get cold. Then again who keeps their house that cold? Over 70F they can just deal with it. Basically think of yourself and think of what temperature you'd be willing to jump out of the shower and air dry without a towel. If you think it's too cold to air dry, then don't shower your parrot. Blow drying them is really unnecessary.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby tattoo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:26 pm

i used a hairdryer because Tattoo gets SOOOO wet. but that being said, i hold the dryer atleast 18 inches away and not on the hot setting. i move it constantly. I am very careful. I just read in Bird Talk that it was important to give them baths and it really helps when they molt.
tattoo
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Postby oknuma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:34 pm

i think its to each their own but do not personally use a hairdryer on batman. I choose what days to let her have a complete soak and on slightly cooler but not cold days am sure to towel dry her somewhat.

I do agree with Michael that teflon isnt the only concern when blowdrying a bird.
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby phutch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:45 am

I don't personally know of any birds in the wild that use blowdryers.

That being said, birds need to be able to dry on their own this promotes preening which helps to keep their feathers in top notch condition. This is what they do.

Like Michael said,"use of a blowdryer will dry out their skin" which could have create a whold different set of problems.

Good luck in what you choose to do.
phutch
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Goffins cockatoo
Yellow Collared Mini Macaw
African Grey

Postby tattoo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:27 am

I understand that in the wild they don't use hairdryers, but they are not in cages either. Plus they lives in areas of the world that over many years have learned to adapt to the climate we took them from.
If I lived in a warm tropical area I could understand your argument but I don't. What about forced air heating systems. That would also be detrimental but we all ( I hope) do what we do because we love our birds so we try to take care of them and not harm them. I think we all do what we think is best and is in the best interest of them.
tattoo
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 am

Yeah but there is a difference between running a heater and making the room warm and letting the parrot dry naturally vs. blowing hot air onto the parrot. Besides the risk of teflon, there is also risk of burns and getting too dry.
Michael
Macaw

Postby tattoo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:52 am

I would be interested in the Teflon mention. Is that a fact? Is there anywhere to get more information about that? I have changed all of our pots and pans to steel so i know about the issue but i have never heard anything about the hairdryers except for a mention in this forum.

I guess the blowdryer vs letting them air dry is something i guess I would have to agree to disagree. I would rather be very careful, use a cooler setting, keep the dryer at a distance then heat up a whole room or house. I am sure people will disagree with that but i know i am very careful and would NEVER harm my baby. Even as bad as he can be.
tattoo
Lovebird

Postby Michael » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:31 pm

I don't really know hair driers well enough to know which use teflon elements and which don't. It might be hair straighteners or it might be driers, really don't remember. It may only be certain models. Basically find out for yourself but I have definitely heard that some of them have it. Better be safe than sorry.

But as for the blow drying argument. Why do you do it? Really, what's the point? How cold do you keep your house? If it's over 70, I'm sure it's fine. I really have never seen a need to blow dry a parrot. Usually I'll wrap mine in a towel for a minute but even that isn't necessary in my opinion but it's a good way to towel train them because it's warmer to be in the towel than out.

I have several temperature gauges in my home so I am well aware of the temperature. I usually pick days that are warmer than most (just naturally warmer) to shower her than the cold ones but otherwise I don't worry about it too much. Getting wet and then shaking off and preening the feathers is just normal. I just can't understand where this "blow drying your parrot" thin comes from. People really don't have anything better to do?
Michael
Macaw

Postby tattoo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:39 pm

why would you say that ? I have plenty to do. Why are you insulting me

"I just can't understand where this "blow drying your parrot" thin comes from. People really don't have anything better to do?"

And actually my house is not 70 degrees at 7 am. more like 65 and when my bird is shivering i want to do something about it. I was told to blow dry him by the breeder i got him from who has been breeding birds 13 years. She has over 100 of her own birds. She has an excellent reputation. Why would i not believe her?
tattoo
Lovebird

Next

Return to General & Off Topic