Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Would you be interested in a training blog?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Would you want to track my Cape Blog?

Yes, online
81%
Yes, by email
19%
No
No votes

Total votes : 27

Re: Would you be interested in a training blog?

Postby TheNzJessie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:12 am

*rasies hand*

i vote yes thats an awesome idea Michael :)

edit: i think having both is a good idea. reach more people
Last edited by TheNzJessie on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Thu May 06, 2010 4:39 am

I launched the new parrot training blog which is meant to chronicle my training and ownership experience with upcoming cape. The blog is still beta and some things may be incomplete or broken. I decided to custom script the blog from scratch rather than use a typical blog software so I can customize it very specifically to my purpose. The banner I will replace once I have pictures of the new Cape to use for that so don't worry about that.

I'd like your feedback about what I have so far (not so much the content as I've posted the same on here for now) but about the way it is set up. Particularly want to know that the fonts, colors, and layout is ok with the exception of banner which I don't want to waste time working on if I will replace it in a month. But if you think anything is bad, I'd prefer to know now so I could fix it before I get the parrot and am ready to blog frequently.

http://trainedparrot.com

For now there is no point following the blog on a regular basis as I am still figuring out how I'm going to do it. But once I get the Cape, you'll probably want to check back regularly for tips on training new tricks, videos, pictures, and updates. I also built in capability to have multiple authors on the blog so if all goes well, if others will be interested in writing articles that fit the blog's theme will also be welcome to post.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby notscaredtodance » Thu May 06, 2010 6:59 am

As someone who keeps up with a lot of blogs (no seriously, like, 60) you might think about instead of writing a chunk of text then putting the pictures at the end, breaking up your post with pictures in between, when it is a post with tex and pictures. If you don't do it it's not a big deal, but something I noticed right off the bat.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu May 06, 2010 11:44 am

If I put pictures/video on top, nobody would read it and just look at the pictures! Cmon I know how you people are :lol:

Actually the long cage post I originally wrote for the forum and just copied to blog. I'll try to keep that in consideration.
Michael
Macaw

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 am

i vote yes that would be awesome :thumbsup: :P it would be amazing to see how you train so i can use your way i like how it looks and is set up by the way where do you get your bird supplies and your birds
budgiebuddy
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: budgie

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 2:13 pm

michael sorry if i didnt spell your name right are you going to be using the same training methods you used on kili with the new bird cause i want a senegal parrot and if you are using the same methods that would be great for me to use to help me train it whn i get it
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Michael » Fri May 07, 2010 7:30 pm

The methods are practically the same whether its a budgie or macaw. Sometimes you just have to get creative how to get it to work for their size but the concepts are always the same. Hopefully, since I've done this before, my methods will be more refined and I'll be able to demonstrate it the right way without making too many mistakes. Also this parrot will never be clipped so it will demonstrate the highest level of training. This parrot I'm going to start with flight recall and taming rather than tricks and then work my way toward tricks once it trusts me.
Michael
Macaw

Postby budgiebuddy » Fri May 07, 2010 8:41 pm

so does that mean like you are going to target tain it first or what???
budgiebuddy
Conure

Postby Michael » Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 am

Probably but I am curious if I can manage training a baby recall without target or dependence on treats.
Michael
Macaw

Postby budgiebuddy » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

well i can tell you that i will be keeping up with every single video on your blog and i will probably be your biggest fan serious i will be checking your blog every single day but i cant wait to see you training the bird :thumbsup:
budgiebuddy
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic