Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Day Job

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Day Job

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:55 am

I am curious as to what everyone does for a living.

I am an emergency 9-1-1 dispatcher and I work 11pm-7am.
Yes, I sometimes bring my birds in for a shift. (mostly Noodle, Marvin is too loud to stay very long)
It seems everyone is in a better mood when she's there. She enjoys it too!
She loves to climb all over the carpeted walls!

Is anyone else able to bring their birds in occasionally to work?
Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Re: Day Job

Postby MandyG » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 am

I wish! I work 8am-6pm (or 4:30pm, depends on my day) and I'm just way too busy to be able to keep an eye on Mojo. Any of my free time at work I'm on here ;) . I've brought him in when I've worked weekends before but I spent more time keeping an eye on him than I did working :(
Also, we have a very quiet office building so his loud Amazon voice definitely wouldn't be welcome.

You're so lucky that you can bring Noodle in with you!
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:43 am

I work in IT from 7:00am to 4:00pm every day. I wish I could bring Lucy and Jessie into the office. Everyone might think they were cute at first, but knowing the people that sit around me, they would get annoyed very quickly when they start squawking and screaching. I've tried to suggest we should have a bring your pet to work day, but the idea hasn't caught on yet.

Laura
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Kathleen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:25 am

Right now, just a student. :(
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby oknuma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I work in the finance industry as a home loan lender ( dont hold it against me , NZ finance is no where near as immoral as the US finance companies LOL )

my official hours are 8am to 4:30pm but I get in around 6:45am most mornings and often dont leave until 5:30pm .. I am one of those crazies who loves to work and loves her job

I also used to run a health and wellness business on the side but sold that 2 years ago and am now considering opening a bird toy business here in NZ instead
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby MandyG » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:25 pm

oknuma wrote:my official hours are 8am to 4:30pm but I get in around 6:45am most mornings and often dont leave until 5:30pm .. I am one of those crazies who loves to work and loves her job

I hear you! I'm in finance as well and I work just about the same hours, except I work even later in the evening and don't come in quite as early! Something that being in finance does to you... ;)
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:49 pm

I'm a rocket scientist. :shock:

I'm a staff astronomer at Caltech and I work with JPL quite a bit. Mostly I'm a manager of other scientists and developers working on space-based and ground-based astronomy science operations. My biggest claim to fame was being Operations Scientist for the Spitzer Space Telescope during its prime mission and I'm now working on SIM Lite (Space Intereferometry Mission), LSST (Large Scale Synoptic Survey Telescope) and KOA (Keck Observatory Archive). I haven't done any actual research in ages. So technically I'm a failed academic.

I hope to bring Scooter in to work with me occasionally. One of my bosses brings his dog in, so there is a precedent and people are pretty mellow about that sort of thing. However, I also occasionally work at home, and he's clever enough to have figured out how to be a major distraction during a telecon.

In my copious spare time, I have a small very part time jewelry business (http://www.jewelrybydeborah.com). Mostly equestrian themed, but I'm thinking now in terms of parrot jewelry. If I can get a good mold from one of Scooter's molted feathers, I want to try making a silver feather using metal clay and then string it with handmade polymer clay beads in the colors of his plumage. I don't want to turn this into an ad, but I wonder if anyone else would want something like that.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby oknuma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:In my copious spare time, I have a small very part time jewelry business (http://www.jewelrybydeborah.com). Mostly equestrian themed, but I'm thinking now in terms of parrot jewelry. If I can get a good mold from one of Scooter's molted feathers, I want to try making a silver feather using metal clay and then string it with handmade polymer clay beads in the colors of his plumage. I don't want to turn this into an ad, but I wonder if anyone else would want something like that.

wow you are a busy lady! a rocket scientist and jeweller!
do i also take it by your jewellrey that you are an equestrian lover?
I am a qualified instructor and ex competitor myself
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Yes, but I'm not riding a lot right now. My horse is a NZ WB! He's semi-retired now, though, due to pastern arthritis, only 16. Don't want to pull the topic too far off... I've done eventing and dressage. Right now I am fat as a tick and need to drop poundage to be comfortable really riding again.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby oknuma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:42 pm

ohhh WB are my weakness! good to see another rider around though:D
wont say much more and derail thread :D