Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

When birds were on top of the food chain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: When birds were on top of the food chain

Postby seagoatdeb » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:31 am

Pajarita wrote:Seagoatdeb, I don't want to debate you but you continue to use statements that are not 100% accurate and which are confusing. Scientific theories are proven by data, it's hypothesis that are completely unproven. Hypothesis come first, then comes the gathering of all data related to every aspect of the theory and, if the data all agrees, it becomes a scientific theory and an accepted fact. And what I stated is what is taught nowadays by universities (I gave you the links). And I am sorry that you think I am condescending but maybe you should consider that you are in a very small minority of people who think so. The written word is iffy at best because the reader can put any sort of accent, tone or ulterior motive to it. Personally, I try to read everything in a neutral tone - it works for me.

You are, of course, within your right to express your opinion but when you say that a theory that is currently widely accepted as a fact by science is 'controversial', you are using a word that people understand to mean that both beliefs are on a par and that there is a debate going on between scientists as to which one is the right one- and this is not so. There might be people who don't believe in it, as you do, and, for all we know, they might be right but, right now, there is no debate so there is no real controversy. And the accepted theory is that birds descend from dinosaurs. It's not that this is MY opinion and that I don't accept anybody else's opinion because I am right and they are wrong, it's that this is the consensual opinion of the greatest majority of people who know much more than I do and I bow to their greater knowledge.

Once it becomes a scientific theory it is still a theory..the best that can ever be said is it is a good theory but never a fact.....it is based on facts....but it is what is accepted as a good explanation...

This is a growing science that changes theories a lot and not all agree so there is indeed controversy. I do believe that parrots came from what they call dinosaurs. They lump all the ancient animals into that term right now. The only way i differ is where you start to call it an ancient bird. This does not even have to do with parrot care. That should not bother you for me to have my opinion and I have never negated yours. You have a right to your opinion and viewpoint and I would defend that. I dont understand why you are complelled to coment on my posts and decide you are the authority that knows what is right. You cant even be 100 percent right, on this kind of topic, it isnt even possible. People are not stupid, they will read through all the coments and make their own decisions.

But please dont coment anymore on my post unless you can use what the forum has in its rules. RESPECT Add me to foes and dont look at my posts if you cant resist. I do not want to argue or debate, especially on something that has no real relevance for us today for our parrrots. I am done on this one, i have answered you and done my best to try to let us both have an opinion. i am not comenting anymore on this post, since it takes two to argue. So let have peace.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:02 am

Seagoatdeb, this thread was put under the "General and Off Topic" so even if it did not relate to parrots at all (which it does and I will remind you that we recently learned that the parrots' ability to create the color red was inherited from their dinosaur ancestor), it would still be in the right place. Again, a gratuitous and completely unsupported negative comment...

I won't continue with this thread either but I am not going to add you to my 'foes'. I have no foes. I find the concept absolutely ridiculous and infantile. If you don't want to debate wirh me, refrain from starting the argument by opposing whatever subject I post on. In this case, you even gave a link that actually proved what I was saying and still you stated the opposite!

And, if we are going to go by who respects whom, I can quote a couple of paragraphs from postings of yours that were EXTREMELY disrespectful of me. Just because I choose not to react or even acknowledge them, it doesn't mean that these things go over my head... just saying. I simply don't take offense. I follow a saying we used to have when we were kids back home: A palabras electricas, oidos desenchufados (For electric words, unplugged ears). Again, it works for me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Perroquet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:46 am

This is why I am no scared to post. I am afraid I say wrong thing then you will be mean to me too. I still learning and did not know Pajarita and Wolf was owner. I read so many rude mean things and see fight with you and so many people, that I though only a person, but I believe I understand now and I learning. I do not argue so please forgive if I afraid about to say dinosaurs opinion. Please excuse my English.
Perroquet
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:42 am

Neither Pajarita nor I am the owner of this site. Michael is the owner. Pajarita is a member no different than anyone else. I am the moderator and otherwise just a member although as moderator It does fall to me to try and stop the bickering. It is not an easy thing to do as many parrot owners, especially those that have lots of experience are both passionate and opinionated about the proper care of parrots.

Just as with our parrots, not everyone will get along with everyone and just like when we have parrots that don't get along it take a lot of work and effort to get them to get along and even then we are not always as successful as we need to be. Unfortunately the only way to force the to stop bickering is to ban them and this would be counter productive as they mean well and have a lot of good information to share with you.

If at any time you feel that anyone is being mean to you in any way just PM me and I will look into it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Perroquet » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:40 pm

Thank you Wolf for making understand. I read everything and I do not believe birds come from dinosaurs in way main says and that they wrong. They do not get small that fast, I dont believe it Thanks for not telling me I am wrong to believe please.
Perroquet
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Conures and Senegal

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:59 am

There is a lot of scientific evidence that suggests that birds descended from dinosaurs, but at this point it is still just a theory and we do not know for sure. I know that this example is far different but id still shows my point. I am a lifelong coffee drinker, I love the stuff. All of my life science has said that coffee is bad for you, now science is saying that coffee is able to fight some cancers, help prevent heart disease and diabetes. What they will say about it in the future is anyone's guess.

So you are not wrong to believe that birds did not descend from dinosaurs, and no one is wrong for believing that they did. There is no reason that we can't accept both points of view as we really do not know for certain. There is room for both of these opinions.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:48 pm

How about chocoalate Wolf, science said it was bad and everyone was eating carob around me, but I loved my chocolate and now science is saying chocoalte has many health benefits. I love my coffee, but I love chocolate even more.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 am

Sorry about missing that one, I don't eat much chocolate, just not a big fan of it, myself. :lol: :lol: I am sure that I have missed a lot of other examples as well.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic