Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Im back!!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Im back!!

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Sophie CAG would gladly step up for anybody who asks her and not bite (she has never, ever bit anybody as far as I know) but she would not allow anybody but me to touch her - step up is not really 'handling'. They do fall in love with people at first sight so maybe Tiko fell in love with your mom's boyfriend like that...

I would not recommend bringing a bird to a store where they sell birds - one cannot tell if any of those birds is sick...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Pajarita wrote:Sophie CAG would gladly step up for anybody who asks her and not bite (she has never, ever bit anybody as far as I know) but she would not allow anybody but me to touch her - step up is not really 'handling'. They do fall in love with people at first sight so maybe Tiko fell in love with your mom's boyfriend like that...

I would not recommend bringing a bird to a store where they sell birds - one cannot tell if any of those birds is sick...

They are store pets they don't live in the pet shop either because they have a house next to the pet shop.The babies of course are only new though any bird could be sick theres risks everywhere.They are never in contact with the large flocks of Budgies,Cockatiels,Lovebirds etc which are in Aviaries in a glass type room.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:39 pm

What would you consider handling? I wouldn't consider giving scratches handling and thats the only thing I cant do that he can.I can touch her beak and feet and sometimes touch her head but can expect a bite.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:19 pm

Anybody can touch a bird's beak given the right conditions (even if it's a stranger and even if the bird is mean) and stepping up is almost a conditioned reflex for some birds so I don't consider that 'handling'. To me, you can handle a bird when the bird will not only step up to your hand without EVER biting but when you can also touch the bird's head, face and neck, when you can give it a treat and never get a 'bite lounge', when you transport the bird on your hand from one room to another (or one floor to another) without the bird flying away, when you can put the bird back in its cage with ease, when the bird knows basic commands and obeys them, etc. It's more than any specific physical interaction, it's a relationship based on the bird trusting you implicitly. I have several birds that I cannot really 'handle' even though they don't bite me, they listen to me and I can move around, etc. because, although I can do all these things, I have to work my way around them, pick the right time, the right tone of voice, etc whereas, with the ones that I can handle, I don't even have to think about anything, I just ask them to do whatever I want them to do, whenever I need them to do it and I know they will do it and will never get annoyed at me in any way. But this is MY personal definition of 'handling'... I don't know what anybody else's meaning of it is.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Pajarita wrote:Anybody can touch a bird's beak given the right conditions (even if it's a stranger and even if the bird is mean) and stepping up is almost a conditioned reflex for some birds so I don't consider that 'handling'. To me, you can handle a bird when the bird will not only step up to your hand without EVER biting but when you can also touch the bird's head, face and neck, when you can give it a treat and never get a 'bite lounge', when you transport the bird on your hand from one room to another (or one floor to another) without the bird flying away, when you can put the bird back in its cage with ease, when the bird knows basic commands and obeys them, etc. It's more than any specific physical interaction, it's a relationship based on the bird trusting you implicitly. I have several birds that I cannot really 'handle' even though they don't bite me, they listen to me and I can move around, etc. because, although I can do all these things, I have to work my way around them, pick the right time, the right tone of voice, etc whereas, with the ones that I can handle, I don't even have to think about anything, I just ask them to do whatever I want them to do, whenever I need them to do it and I know they will do it and will never get annoyed at me in any way. But this is MY personal definition of 'handling'... I don't know what anybody else's meaning of it is.

Your meaning of handling I can do all that with Tiko
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:52 am

I realised its actually my fear or being nervous that causes Tiko to not want to step up and get aggressive.My moms boyfriend has no fear and my 6 year old cousin has no fear so he can do anything with her too and I have no fear of African greys that I don't know like the one in the Pet store lets me scratch his head etc but I know Tiko so that makes me a little nervous so I actually need to train myself lol.I was very calm with her just now and she stepped up and came into my room with the others.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:43 am

There you go! Sometimes, it's not the bird but us.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:04 pm

:)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:28 am

Keep calm. You have the advantage of other birds. They learn from each other as well as you just like kids learn from their friends as well as family.

My little flock of Cockatiels love each other more than me. I would rescue them all again knowing this. They are not pets but are more like little beings in my home and though not afraid of me much anymore still only land on my back and stay away from my hands. When Tommy is in a cuddly mood and comes to me for kisses the others all seem to be watching and wondering if they can do it.

Personality of the bird should also be taken into the equation.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:10 am

liz wrote:Keep calm. You have the advantage of other birds. They learn from each other as well as you just like kids learn from their friends as well as family.

My little flock of Cockatiels love each other more than me. I would rescue them all again knowing this. They are not pets but are more like little beings in my home and though not afraid of me much anymore still only land on my back and stay away from my hands. When Tommy is in a cuddly mood and comes to me for kisses the others all seem to be watching and wondering if they can do it.

Personality of the bird should also be taken into the equation.

What would Tiko have to learn from other birds? Im the one who has to learn to not be nervous.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic