Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hot Parrot Topics

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Hot Parrot Topics

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 3:44 pm

I've never heard of him. I'll have to go google him. Is he a breeder or just avian enthusiast/scammer along the lines of the Womacks?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby notscaredtodance » Tue May 11, 2010 3:50 pm

hartmanaviaries.com i guess he invented the aviator flight harness, from what i can tell. i do really like the circus diet idea on his website. and a lot of the articles on the website are decent. he claims to be the largest flighted prrot collection in the world, but when i talked to him he just sounded too oldschool with his philosophies.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Hmmm... well I do like the circus diet but he sells unweaned babies which is not good. That's all I read for now.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby MandyG » Thu May 13, 2010 1:19 pm

miajag wrote:Yeah, but how many parrots are killed by cage-mates who turn aggressive against them and attack?

That's why they have beak modification (aka beak mutilation and surgical beak alteration)... :( Although it was seen more with breeding pairs.

Beak modification is a hot topic for some, I'm confident there would be no debate on here about it though. It's horrific, torturous, and just plain cruel.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby pchela » Thu May 13, 2010 1:22 pm

MandyG wrote:
miajag wrote:Yeah, but how many parrots are killed by cage-mates who turn aggressive against them and attack?

That's why they have beak modification (aka beak mutilation and surgical beak alteration)... :( Although it was seen more with breeding pairs.

Beak modification is a hot topic for some, I'm confident there would be no debate on here about it though. It's horrific, torturous, and just plain cruel.

Yeah, I doubt anybody here would be an advocate for beak modification. I fostered a little caique with a split beak and when I was researching I found tons of stuff on beak modification. It's so awful. I can't see how anybody would be okay with it. I imagine if we started a thread on it here there would just be agreement that it is torture. Although... after the clipping debate, maybe we could use a thread where we can all unite. :D
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby lzver » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 pm

MandyG wrote:Beak modification is a hot topic for some, I'm confident there would be no debate on here about it though. It's horrific, torturous, and just plain cruel.

It never even crossed my mind that this would be possible. I'm sure its necessary for medical reasons, but beyond that I don't even want to think about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby pchela » Thu May 13, 2010 1:42 pm

lzver wrote:
MandyG wrote:Beak modification is a hot topic for some, I'm confident there would be no debate on here about it though. It's horrific, torturous, and just plain cruel.

It never even crossed my mind that this would be possible. I'm sure its necessary for medical reasons, but beyond that I don't even want to think about it.

It's not necessary for any medical reason that I know of. It's a way for breeders to keep their males from killing their females. (especially Cockatoos)

At the bottom of this page http://www.mytoos.com/chained.shtml is a photo of a beak modification. I will warn you though... this page is really disturbing and will make you sick and possibly weepy. Do not click on it if you don't want to see pictures of tortured parrots.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic