Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Avian Vet, south Hertfordshire?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Avian Vet, south Hertfordshire?

Postby john212 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:47 am

Hello,
a few years ago I moved out of London to Waltham Cross, south Hertfordshire (UK), but during this time I kept going to my previous vet in Leyton as he's really good.
However now my cockatiel is getting older and in the meantime I became a dad so it's now difficult / not ideal to have a 40+ minutes journey, especially during the cold season.

Does anyone here happen to know a good avian vet around my area in Hertfordshire? I contacted / found a couple but they both do not seem to accept new clients.

Many thanks
john212
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Avian Vet, south Hertfordshire?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:52 am

Sorry, I only know a couple near me (Northern NJ, USA) - isn't there an avian vet national association in the UK? Because, here in USA, there is and the website has a list of all the members by state...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby john212 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 pm

hi Pajarita,
thanks!

Yes I had a look at the vets that shows up clicking "find a vet" on https://www.aav.org/ and I also searched on https://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/home/ and checked out the ones listed here: https://theparrotsocietyuk.org/site/fil ... n-2019.pdf but they are all 15 or more miles away which means 25-50 min depending on traffic; I was hoping to find something closer or at least have some feedback from other owners.

Also the one I'm currently with does not have parking therefore I might either struggle to find a spot nearby or have to walk 3-5 minutes near a busy road and even with the transport cage covered, I'm always scared it's too cold (it's about 0c / 32f outside).
john212
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:10 pm

Call the local vets and ask them if they treat exotics because, in my personal experience, a vet that is not certified but has been treating exotics can be as good or even better than a certified avian vet. I can tell you that the BEST two vets I've had for my birds were not certified, and that the best avian vet of the area where I was living in Pennsylvania when I had the rescue, who was also a professor of avian medicine at the Pennsylvania University, misdiagnosed one of my birds not once but three times (I kept on taking him to the clinic because I could tell the bird was not well!) and the bird ended up dead because, by the time I got so frustrated with his "The bird is fine! There is nothing wrong with it!" and tried another vet, it was too late.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to General & Off Topic