Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Travel Cage/Carrier Training

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Travel Cage/Carrier Training

Postby Michael » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:51 pm

One thing I can't stress enough is the importance of proper travel cage or travel carrier training for parrots up front. The moment you need to get the bird to a vet or make a move across the country is not the right time to be wondering how to get the parrot to go into the travel cage! It's really important to put the effort into getting the parrot used to and happy about being in the travel cage now. This way when you really do have to go some place (pleasant or not), the bird will be ready to climb inside and not stress over being in that cage. Here are some videos I made on the subject:

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Travel Cage/Carrier Training

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:24 am

Indeed! And I would add emergencies to the trip across the country or going to the vet! One needs to be able to put the bird(s) in carriers fast and without hassle - think a fire in the house in the middle of the night! So, remember not only to teach the bird but also to keep the carrier(s) handy, just in case.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to General & Off Topic