Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Leaving a bird alone for 9 days!!!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Leaving a bird alone for 9 days!!!

Postby Natacha » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:05 am

Wow...just wow.

It boggles my mind that anyone could think that any living being in such a powerless situation could be fine totally alone for 9 days straight.

While your last post did say the parrot was going to come with you, did your boyfriend not have any relatives or friends that could have come over to at least change the water/food? You don't always need to pay a birdsitter (some people are just happy to help out), there is really no excuse for this to have even crossed his mind...
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby whispernova » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:30 pm

He has left the bird alone for that long and its inexcusable. He thinks i am just an emotional wreck projecting all my emotions on his bird. He thinks the bird is perfectly fine. I talked him into taking the bird with us..but I fear her travel cage is too small. but the lesser of the two evils is coming with us. This man has no right whatsoever to have any pets. He goes against everything I believe in. I am an animal rights activist and its unreal that I fell for a man who could do something like this. But it is over...no doubt about that. But yes the bird is coming along.
whispernova
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby tenexe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:37 am

Wow I understand the jist of what your trying to convey but making a comparison to leaving a 3 year old child is absurd. I am going away for 4 days and my bird is being boarded at a vet office and I am already having anxiety over it. However, to try to compare a parrot to a 3 or 4 year old child is absurd. They may have the intellect of a child but not the survival skills, there is a big difference. Apples and Oranges.
tenexe
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:43 am

tenexe wrote:However, to try to compare a parrot to a 3 or 4 year old child is absurd. They may have the intellect of a child but not the survival skills, there is a big difference. Apples and Oranges.

Huh? What are you talking about? Parrots mature far quicker and can take care of themselves after weening. Not that I advocate doing it, but I'm sure a parrot would survive a few days or week alone better than a 3-4 year old child. Leave out a big zip lock bag of pellets and a running faucet (with parrot out of cage) and it will survive months on that. Doubt a young child would survive in similar circumstances. If anyone, it is the parrot that has the stronger survival skills.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby zazanomore » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Michael wrote:
tenexe wrote:However, to try to compare a parrot to a 3 or 4 year old child is absurd. They may have the intellect of a child but not the survival skills, there is a big difference. Apples and Oranges.

Huh? What are you talking about? Parrots mature far quicker and can take care of themselves after weening. Not that I advocate doing it, but I'm sure a parrot would survive a few days or week alone better than a 3-4 year old child. Leave out a big zip lock bag of pellets and a running faucet (with parrot out of cage) and it will survive months on that. Doubt a young child would survive in similar circumstances. If anyone, it is the parrot that has the stronger survival skills.

Ever watch home alone? :P
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Previous