Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Senegal in the Glass Cage

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

The Senegal in the Glass Cage

Postby skcopland » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 am

Before I got my brown headed parrot, Basil, I visited a chain pet store in town (For those in KW, the Petcetera near Conestoga Mall). There was a sweet little senegal parrot there, then 6 months old, that was at the time selling for 1,200 dollars. That was way out of my price range, and I had my mind already set on my bird, which was on hold for me. But I couldn't forget about that sweet little bird; it had such a stare!

Pet shop birds, I figure, must commonly have this allure. They spend so much time just watching people; this one was not so pleased to be picked up, but seemed to enjoy just to sit close to the glass, never taking its eyes off of you.

Its been two months or so since I got my bird, and I decided to visit that senegal again two days ago. He was still there, the price now lowered to 600 dollars - the store must be getting desperate! He looked a bit bigger, his eyes a bit more golden, still sitting on his swing facing outward into the store. I took my boyfriend to see him again yesterday, in the back of my mind hoping he would fall in love with him and take him home.

Where do these birds go when they get too old to sell? What happens when it is no longer profitable to drop the price anymore? There is a part of me that is worried that I made the wrong decision - what if this was the bird I was supposed to get?

I love my Basil, and I think he loves me; perhaps the difference is that Basil didn't need me in the same way. But maybe he does now; I know the two of us have a lot of learning still to do.

I guess in my heart now I know if I ever get another bird, and by that time I will hopefully have a little more experience, I will get a rehome or a bird that really needs the chance to be loved. Its probably best until that time that I don't visit pet shop birds; I'm sure so many of them have that longing gaze. Its enough to give any animal lover a "Mother Teresa complex", and to wind up with all too many expensive pets.

But, if any of you are getting a new bird, consider that little senegal. He is a little scared, probably a little nippy, and seems to be a little overweight due to his pure seed diet. But there is a good bird in there, I know it!

I don't want him to go where the unsold ones go... wherever that may be.
skcopland
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Brown headed parrot
Flight: No

Re: The Senegal in the Glass Cage

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 am

Sounds like a royal rip off. Senegal Parrots usually sell for around $600 as babies in the first place and possibly less depending on location or direct from breeder.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby skcopland » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am

Yeah, well that is what I thought when I first saw him.

However, the local breeder that I got my bird from sells their senegals for $550 I believe. I have a feeling he was purchased through her. In which case, the store is hardly making a profit at this point.
skcopland
Parakeet

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:07 am

Parrots are considerably more expensive in Canada...so while the bird was initially overpriced, that's what the petstores are charging (and obviously getting in many cases). Can't compare to American prices...you guys get your goods cheap! We're all jealous.

On the plus side, we also don't have as many parrots in need of homes or at shelters...maybe we can thank the high-pricing for that?

skcopland: This is how pet stores make their money...people fall 'in love' with the animals. But you can't let that influence you...your current bird isn't 'less worthy' for NOT being in a pet store. Some people overly romanticise the thought of rescuing an animal.

I've seen people pass over healthy dogs at shelters (who often go on to be euthanized) in favour of dogs with major health issues. They'll spend thousands of dollars getting the ill dog health care...and the dog may or may not survive. In the meantime, all that money could have been used toward rehoming healthy animals.

Does that mean the ill animal is not worthwhile? No, of course not. But is the ill animal worth MORE than the healthy one?

Often employees at pet stores will find homes for animals that have been there for a long time. They'll take the animal home, or a family member will. Once the animal comes down in price, and they get their employee discount on top of that, it becomes more affordable for them as well.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby notscaredtodance » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Where do these birds go when they get too old to sell? What happens when it is no longer profitable to drop the price anymore? There is a part of me that is worried that I made the wrong decision - what if this was the bird I was supposed to get?

Usually birds get passed around from store to store in hopes that someone who wouldn't have seen the bird in one store, will see it in another store and buy it. I've never heard of a bird being too old to sell. Then again we have never had a bird over 2. Some stores will cut their losses just to get the animal out. We've given rabbits away because they were just too big for our cages and we couldn't get more, baby rabbits, that sell like crazy. So really its also unprofitable for an animal to take up space in a cage when you could put something else in that cage.

Avoid buying pet store birds at all costs. They come from mills. They aren't bred for health or temperment or evolution of the species- they are bred for profit. I can't stress it enough.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby skcopland » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:48 pm

My post was supposed to be a little romanticized - I think the animal trade is a bittersweet thing. For me, it is and will always be a constant internal argument of:

Do I want a pet with a fresh start, that I can make perfectly happy and comfortable?

Or,

Do I want a pet that is running out of options that I may never get the chance to bond with and may be sick or already too broken to be happy?

I don't know, I think that in some ways, breeding more and more young birds when there are so many suffering is selfish - or at least, inconsiderate. Especially with what you said, about the bird mills... so awful! I suppose it is worth it to not buy those pets, even if it means a less than comfortable home for the bird, perhaps those places will eventually go out of business if the word is spread enough.

If you think about the overpopulation problem in any other context though, even with humans, there are of course so many suffering but yet most people want children, regardless of social or financial status. I know I want kids one day, because they will be my kids, but there is still plenty of suffering children out there that it would probably be kinder to help them instead. Life is a part of life,I guess.

Don't mind me, I was home sick from work yesterday and was brooding on the topic for a while :P It was meant to be more of a discussion regarding the ethics of keeping animals than pricing.
skcopland
Parakeet

Postby Rue » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Well...if the pet store bird ends up in a rescue...it's STILL a pet store bird...poor breeding and whatever else maybe associated with it.

It is appealing to go rescue someone. I won't deny it. We did too. The Pionus was a baby - straight from the breeder/pet store, the Amazon we got when she was 10, and the plucked CAG when she was about 3. I know the CAG was originally from a breeder that the pet store owner brought in for the couple who had her first.

We also used to show dogs...but I don't anymore (I still do obedience though)...so our last two dogs are rescues. One is an American bulldog that was 10 months old when we got her...the other is a Catahoula X that was 10 weeks old...both from SPCAs...

And it IS rewarding! But you know what? At the end of the day I really like to know the history of my pets...and their breeding, etc. So it also has it's drawbacks.

btw - I did want to rescue an older parrot when we got the CAG...but you know what? Couldn't find one for the life of me! I was hoping for a ~30 year old parrot...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Return to General & Off Topic