Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Reasons Not to Buy Parrots

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Reasons Not to Buy Parrots

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:24 am

Ok, here's the place to share stories and reasons why someone should choose not to acquire a parrot. There are lots of people (stores, breeders, friends) that will encourage someone to buy a parrot. It's very easy to miss the other side of the story for an enthusiastic new potential parrot owner. So in case someone searches the internet for a reason why not to buy a parrot, post your experiences and reasons here to caution them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Reasons Not to Buy Parrots

Postby Natacha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 am

Not a personal experience but I've heard so many bad ending to this situation that I do caution people on it:

Do NOT buy a bird to be another bird's "friend".

Buy it if you want it. If they become friends, great, but getting a bird solely with the purpose of it being a companion to another is bad - what if they don't get along, to the point to where they attack each other?
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Don't buy a parrot for a child not old enough to care for it properly (i.e...a child not old enough to hold their own job or complete household chores). Too many birds starve to death or are otherwise neglected because parents assume their children are taking care of it... And it is sad. :(
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Rue » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:32 pm

Do not make an impulse purchase.

Realize that birds are very long-lived, very messy and very noisy. It is NOT okay to get a pet just to 'try it out' and then rehome it. There are many legitimate reasons to rehome, but regretting an impulse purchase isn't one of them.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby ptuga72 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:58 pm

Don't buy a bird because you want a talker, a cuddler, a pretty color. I find that many buy a bird wanting a specific trait but when their bird doesn't fit into that exact mold they are disappointed. Many don't realize how individual each bird can be. Yes 'too's tend to be cuddlers, but that doesn't mean that every 'too is one, or even one that is (a cuddler) wants to held 24/7.

It broke my heart one day I was perusing craigslist and saw an ad for a senegal rehome. It stated that they wanted to trade for an african grey because the sennie didn't talk or liked to be held. One week later I saw an ad listing the same phone number and pics as before, trying to rehome a grey and a sennie :cry:

I also heard about a macaw that was surrendered because it no longer matched the decor of the home.

And then there are the people that want to get a rescue bird solely because they heard that "they're cheaper and I don't want to spend a lot money on a bird".

But I could go on and on.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby lzver » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I remember when we bought our female Red Belly Lucy, she had been in the pet store for almost 6 months. She's such a pretty little bird, but the guy who worked there said that she always got looked over and he couldn't count how many times he heard people say 'She's not colorful enough'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Natacha » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm

lzver wrote:I remember when we bought our female Red Belly Lucy, she had been in the pet store for almost 6 months. She's such a pretty little bird, but the guy who worked there said that she always got looked over and he couldn't count how many times he heard people say 'She's not colorful enough'

Ironically enough, I always found female Red-bellies nice looking (although I have to admit by looking at pictures that the male's orange belly was more stricking) and it's not until I saw Pixel in the store that I really REALLY appreciated the beauty of the females. Pictures don't do them enough justice
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Parrots are very costly. The price tag of the bird itself is just the tip of the iceberg. You can easily expect to spend 3-5 times the price of the bird on the cage and initial supplies alone. Then for the rest of the birds life (and they live quite long) you could well be spending the price of the bird early in supplies. So for a $1,000 African Grey Parrot, expect to spend $3,000-$5,000 by the time your bring the bird home and another $50,000 ($1,000 a year for 50 years) for the rest of it's life. Suddenly when you look at the cost of ownership being $50,000, that $1,000 for the bird itself doesn't sound so appealing any more does it?

Anyone looking for a cheap bird by getting a rehomed is no exception. Sure you might get the bird and cage for free even, but you'll still be spending $40,000 (or however much lifespan remains) on all of the yearly maintenance, supplies, food, vet visits, etc.

I'm not even going to get into all the ruined clothes, furniture, etc that the bird pooped on or broke. You'll also need air filters, rugs, replace all teflon pans, and the list can go on and on of the things you'll spend on that don't directly affect the parrot but are necessary when owning one!
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Azure Hanyo » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:12 pm

...Replace all teflon pans?...

:shock:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby a.susz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:34 pm

birds can and most will become hormonal eventually. not forever, just in spring. :lol: im also not saying that every bird will bite, but you have to consider that they have a beak and its their way of self defense. not every bird has potential to be a 'family' pet either.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Next

Return to General & Off Topic