Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

24hr countdown!

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: 24hr countdown!

Postby Kim S » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:28 am

Congrats on getting Tobi. Looking at that cage that bird is going to be a spoilt brat before long! Just be sure he has some space to flap his wings without hitting toys all around ;)

And on a personal note. I would leave Tobi with the breeder untill he/she is sure Tobi will not regress again. I have the experience that birds who fall back on handfeeding more than once will do so again and it takes a very firm hand to wean these birds properly.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:59 pm

I wound up getting another male from the breeder of almost the exactly same age. Tobi and the new "Tobi" are both born the week of April 20th. This male is almost double the size of the other male and should only need a few days, if that of hand feeding. He has already jumped into the pellets and consumed some of the fresh veggies I gave him and we've only been home little under an hour.

Normally I'd not of taken him so soon from the breeder but I'm not a novice and I have an education as well which helps on the behavior end. I've hand raised wild birds in the past - which is MUCH harder as usually you don't even know what species they are when they are little pink blobs screaming for food. I watched and then helped feed some of his other current babies (as well as the other Tobi) before I was allowed to take my baby home (which he was calm and slept part of the way surprisingly).

Currently Tobi is exploring his cage and attempting to tear things apart which I take as a very good sign - I wouldn't suggest to anyone without experience to hand feed and even with experience its not an easy task. I still look forward to when my Parrotlets have babies so I can hopefully play "mom" to a handful of greedy little pink blobs =)
Last edited by lainmai on Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owned by 2 Parrotlets (Minoru & Midori) and 1 Senegal (Tobi)
lainmai
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Senegal

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Congrats! Welcome home to the new Tobi! :thumbsup:
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks Michael! This little rascal has been a long time coming and I just HAD to take this little guy over the other, he pretty much jumped to the front of the cage, sat at the door and stared at me wide eyed. I put a finger out and he stepped up which simply amazed me as he was one of 2 from a friend of Leonard which were hand fed but still rather 'wild' compared to Leonard's babies. Pretty much I think he picked ME instead of the other way around. Hes already been nibbling on my fingers and playing with my hair. I really do have the feeling this match was meant to be over the other Sennie which had been mine to start with.
lainmai
Conure

Postby Kim S » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:09 pm

Those are the best matches, where the pet chooses the owner. Thats how I always choose my pets too!
Congrats on Tobi, cant wait to see some pictures! :thumbsup:
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby lainmai » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Pictures, as requested, and as horrid as they are compared to what everyone else seems to be able to take! (note the jealousy in my words, haha)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2680
lainmai
Conure

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic