Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

One Parrot Persons

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Do you prefer one parrot or multiple parrots?

Single
32%
Multiple
68%
Bonded Pair
No votes

Total votes : 25

One Parrot Persons

Postby Michael » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 pm

I noticed that besides myself, quite a handful of parrot owners on this forum have added another since joining. I'm curious if the forum was of any influence about that.

Also, I wonder how many of you would classify yourself as a single parrot person? This isn't even if you have one parrot or many but which you find to be more suitable for you. This means you could have many and say you wished you had one or have just one now but plan to have more. What drives this single or multi preference?

I'm not at all asking about whether or not you believe the parrots are better off being alone or with others. This time the question is more about your preference and why you feel that way?

If you like having multiple parrots, how do you know when to stop? When is enough enough? What drives this multi-parrot addiction (Pchela, Natacha...)?

I also added bonded-pair as an option in the poll. This isn't just having two parrots but having all parrots with a cage mate of the same species. Once again, not if you think the parrot benefits from this but if this is your own enjoyable preference.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: One Parrot Persons

Postby pchela » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:01 am

Ha. I just have the three. That's not so much is it? And eventually a Grey but then that's it.

Hmmm... I originally had Pippin and he was way more awesome than I ever suspected a bird could be. I had no idea what I was getting into at the time. Then I started working with parrots and learned about the different types and different personality quirks and decided I wanted a Grey. I was given Nicholas (and only took him after much debate and thought because I really wanted a Grey and didn't want to have a bunch of parrots). The Jardine's happened in a weird turn of events. I had been researching them and they seemed awesome but had never met one. I inquired about the baby at Old World Aviaries but couldn't afford him so wasn't really thinking of getting him. But when somebody offers to buy a parrot for you, what can you say? So I now have the three. I still really want a Grey but I don't actually want 4 birds. I really only ever wanted 2 and that mainly because I felt that it was better to have two when we were out of the house so they could have some company. The others just kind of happened along the way. I was not actively seeking to be a more than 2 bird household. If I could go back in time, I think I would just have Pippin and a Grey but I already love the others so there's not much for it now.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:27 am

i voted single but that may be because i am still new at it... i have to say, after joining this forum i have started thinking about what my next parrot would be.... but that is still a loooooong time from now, right now i an definitly a one parrot person :D
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby Kim S » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:24 am

Interesting question. My choice to keep more parrots stems from the believe that parrots should not be kept alone. It is my intention to get another parrot in the near future as a bird-buddy for Kika.
But my personal choice would probably to keep one. It is difficult to devide your attention over more birds, especially if the birds dont really get along.
I hope the bird we will get in the future will bond better with my bf than Kika. Him and Kika dont really get along.
In the best case scenario, Kika would get a friend, my bf would get his own parrot and everybody would be happy.

On the other hand, I'm a collector. I can't say no to a bird. If something comes along on my way I will probably jump at the opportunity. I love birds and feel we can never have too many. Luckily my bf can talk saome sence into me every now and then :D
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)

Postby lzver » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:27 am

I voted multiple.

With the addition of Kylie last weekend, we have three and that will be my limit. Much like pchela, I didn't really know what I was getting into when I got Lucy, but we fell in love with her almost instantly and we were caught off guard by how smart she was and her sweet personality. We were not planning on getting another bird, but we were in the store getting food and toys for Lucy and Jessie wrapped his little beak around my heart and we came home with him. I have never regretted that decision, because he's the one I have the closest bond with. He's my little guy and I can do anything with him.

I've gotten to know Kylie better over the last week and she's going to be a great addition to the flock! She's got a sweet little personality and I think she will become even more comfortable when she's introduced to the bird room and isn't by herself.

Having the birds has enriched my life so much. I never considered keeping birds as pets, but as far as I'm concerned they make awesome pets! I'll always love dogs, but will never have one again.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:49 pm

I voted multiple, but as a single person, I'm not sure I'd have added another so soon. We really got Scotty for my husband. And... slowly but surely it's working out. I think it does help ease the worry of leaving them "alone" to know at least there is a familiar creature around even if we are not.

I can imagine adding a 3rd but not more than that... unless we wanted to get into breeding. We have discussed an outdoor finch aviary and that would increase the number of birds, but not parrots.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby zazanomore » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 pm

I have 3 birds, but it really doesn't feel like it. I guess it's because for the most part, the budgies take care of themselves.

I just think it's healthier for the birds to be able to have some interaction with other birds. It would be kind of depressing if the only bird-on-bird interaction they got was from hearing the far off calls coming from outside.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby captwest » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:30 pm

I'm a breeder and am exposed to many offers and good deals on birds. i have to turn down / pass on many birds, almost daily, how can anyone have just one????? it;s killing me to pass on a pair of military macaws today!!!! i quess we nave to know our limits. wish i was rich.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby a.susz » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:10 am

aww too bad you couldn't have the militaries, that would be awesome.... but yes we have to know our limits.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Postby Red Moppet » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:21 am

I voted for one parrot.

I am planning on getting a second budgie because I worry about Sputnik being alone during the day, but I prefer having one animal/bird in my life.

I think it might have to do with the fact that I grew up by myself and am more of an introvert and don't like a lot of action/noise in my house. Also, I find that I can spend all my time with Sputnik and don't have to worry about ensuring that all the birds get enough attention.
Red Moppet
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Next

Return to General & Off Topic