Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Book reviews about Parrot and related subjects

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Book reviews about Parrot and related subjects

Postby Becco Lunatico » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:08 am

I would like to know what everyone is reading out there and what they recommend for different topics.
I just finished reading 'Alex and Me' by Irene Pepperberg, a great read about the internationally well known Alex/African Grey.
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Book reviews about Parrot and related subjects

Postby Munchy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:49 pm

I've wanted to buy that book but frankly don't feel like crying my eyes out. I read the back cover and his last dying words, that alone brings tears to my eyes. I don't understand why so many people believe it's o.k. to treat animals with cruelty just because they are not human.
Just finished watching the documentary "The Parrot's of Telegraph Hill" absolutely loved it, and wish it were longer.
I bought a book about training parrots tricks, I enjoy it but have stopped reading it as I want to focus on teaching him words right now. Plus the book has tameness levels your bird should have before you attempt certain tricks. I have been trying to reach those levels and Disney has progressed much since I got him because of my reading where he should be.
It has also given me goals to reach with him. Which are fun.
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure

Postby zazanomore » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:23 pm

Apparently the parrots of telegraph hill was originally a book, so I know I'm going to have to check it out.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Chris&Akilah » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:09 pm

There's also "The Parrot That Owns Me" by Joanna Burger, about her Amazon 'Tiko'. It's interesting because she is an ornithologist who studies parrots and other birds.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:28 pm

Chris&Akilah wrote:There's also "The Parrot That Owns Me" by Joanna Burger, about her Amazon 'Tiko'. It's interesting because she is an ornithologist who studies parrots and other birds.

I have that and haven't read it yet!

"The Parrots Lament and other Tales of Animal Intelligence, Instinct and Intrugue" by Eugene Linden is a good collection of interesting anecdotes.

I am beginning to think both the mystery genre and the young adult/juvenile book regime are sadly short of good parrot stories! Maybe I'll start writing again!

"Alex and Me" isn't as much of a tear jerker as all that. It is a pretty interesting take on academia as well as the training of Alex, but you can also see through her own telling of the story, that she's probably not a super easy person to get along with! FWIW they twist his "dying words" on the back cover, which does get you all teared up, and when I got around to the end I was a bit annoyed at that. If you don't want a spoiler, stop reading but...

....that's pretty much what he said to her when she left the lab each day, and he died suddenly due to heart failure during the night.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Becco Lunatico » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:19 pm

Chris&Akilah wrote:There's also "The Parrot That Owns Me" by Joanna Burger, about her Amazon 'Tiko'. It's interesting because she is an ornithologist who studies parrots and other birds.

A great read! Love when she describes her parrots first 'real' soaring flight and how she and her hubby reacted to it. Also, love the way she interweaves her own scientific experiences with her personal story!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies

Return to General & Off Topic