Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

silly question, upset birdie

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

silly question, upset birdie

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:02 pm

could it be that my birdie doesnt recognize me just cos im wearing glasses today?? i normally wear contacts but i have a problem with my eyes so cant right now. i hardly ever wear my glasses and he really looks at me differently today... i thought that maybe he would atleast recognize my voice.... or maybe hes just cranky today, dont know.

but could a small thing like glasses be something he would get upset about? he wouldnt even come near me.... i tried to take off my glasses (but then couldnt see much) but Joey looked at me like he was saying "you aint fooling me, you are the glasses person trying to disguise as my companion person, go away!" :(
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella
Flight: Yes

Re: silly question, upset birdie

Postby zazanomore » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:26 pm

I wear glasses, but I guess my birds are used to me with or without glasses. Some birds are just finicky. I've heard stories of people getting new shirts and that upsets the parrot. I think he'll just get used to it.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:28 pm

You know what's a good idea is to let your bird watch you put whatever on. That way they can learn the transformation while knowing it is you. For instance, when I wore my Halloween costume, clearly I looked like someone else. Yet my parrots still responded and recalled to me. I suspect it's because they learn to recognize the face regardless of clothes and because I let them see me put it on during trial fittings a few days prior.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:29 pm

rebeccaturpeinen wrote:could it be that my birdie doesnt recognize me just cos im wearing glasses today?? i normally wear contacts but i have a problem with my eyes so cant right now. i hardly ever wear my glasses and he really looks at me differently today... i thought that maybe he would atleast recognize my voice.... or maybe hes just cranky today, dont know.

but could a small thing like glasses be something he would get upset about? he wouldnt even come near me.... i tried to take off my glasses (but then couldnt see much) but Joey looked at me like he was saying "you aint fooling me, you are the glasses person trying to disguise as my companion person, go away!" :(

Very possible.
My parents' African Greys, well at least two out of the three, are scared of my dad when he puts his glasses on (only when he reads).
One of those greys is scared of me when I have a brown sweater on.

And one of my parents' cockatoos wants to attack my mom each time she comes home from a new haircut. After a day or two he's ok but that initial "shock"...not very pleasant.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby SpeedyNyC » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:03 pm

Mmmm... This makes me think. I wonder if getting a couple of different masks would be an effective way to make younger birds more social towards strangers. Maybe if I frequently expose them to "multiple people" (really just me with different masks on) they won't be so scared of meeting new people. Do any of you think this can work?
SpeedyNyC
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Macaw, Cockatiels, Parakeet and fostering two yellow collared macaws.

Postby captwest » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't see that it would hurt, let me know how it works out.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby SpeedyNyC » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, this would actually take some time if it even works at all. Plus I need a young bird which I don't have, yet. :lol:
SpeedyNyC
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Macaw, Cockatiels, Parakeet and fostering two yellow collared macaws.

Postby captwest » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Well we've got eggs fixin to start hatching anyday now and after that we'll have about 3wks of relative peace and then all hell breaks loose with beggin babies. :hatched:
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:40 am

interesting idea!!
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Return to General & Off Topic