Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

breeding question sorta

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: breeding question sorta

Postby zazanomore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm

There is no such thing as an albino cockatiel. However, if you breed a white faced cockatiel with a lutino cockatiel, there is a chance that some of the offspring will come out as white faced lutinos. These are pure white with the red eyes.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Well Johnny, i'm not sure about what everyone calls albino tiels, and i don't stress over what they're called anyway. I have white tiels and when i breed white X white i get all white babies.If bred whiteX normal i should get 50% white and 50% split to white, if i were to then breed split to white with split to white i would get 50% white and 50% split to white, If i breed white X split to white i get 75% white, if i breed split to white X normal i get 25% white, is all that as clear as mud or what? ;) That's hard on a fella's head !!
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby Kim S » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:20 pm

Well.... Capt..... youre talking about whitefaces tiels i guess? Since youre discribing a reccessive genetic mutation. The 'albino' is a sex linked genetic mutation.

First of all, Zaza is right. There is no such thing as a true albino. You do however have white faces lutino. A lutino is an all yellow bird (or whitish yellow) with red cheecks and red eyes. A whitefaced albino is the lutino mutation in a white faced bird.

I would love to explain the genetics to you, but it is a very difficult concept to understand.
If you breed 2 albinos, you will get 100% albinos.

This link has a very good genetics guide. It is a site about budgies, but the principles are the same. The yellow cockatiels are the same as the green budgies. the white faced tiels are the same mutation as the blue budgies.
http://www.tvellef.nl/php/pivot/entry.p ... &w=archief
(click on colours/mutations for the colour guide)

Hav fun figuring it out.
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Like i said it all hurts my head. :roll: And i don't really care what they're called , i think they're all pretty.and i have fun playing god !! :lol: And just for the sake of argument the American Cockateil Society has a description of Albino cockatiels that sounds and looks alot like my birds, www.acstiels.com/colormutations.html
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Return to General & Off Topic