Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Medieval Parrots

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Medieval Parrots

Postby iknowwhatiknow » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

Someone on one of the other forums I visit posted this link, which I thought was quite funny. It's sourced from the writings of Pliny the Elder, Isodore of Seville and Sir John Mandeville, and gives the medieval explanation of the parrot:

The parrot is a bird found in India that can be taught to speak like a man. It learns better when it is young, but if it will not learn one must hit it over the head with an iron bar. It can say ave (a greeting) by nature, but must be taught all other words. Its beak is so hard that if the parrot falls from a height it can break its fall with its beak. Parrots are colored green with a purple-red collar; they hate the rain because the water makes their colors appear ugly. There are two kinds of parrot: the kind with three toes have a mean disposition, but the ones with six toes are gentle.

http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast235.htm

So, if your parrot is being a grumpy feather-butt - it's probably because you failed to check the number of toes when you took them in.
Last edited by iknowwhatiknow on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I think I can figure things out, is that curiosity or arrogance? I know what I know." - Topher Brink, Dollhouse.
iknowwhatiknow
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Medieval Parrots

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:37 am

<BANG!>

Sorry, that was the sound of my head exploding....

Please tell me there is an equivalent for parrots to Xenophon for horses... that actually knew how to work WITH the creature and understood its nature.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby iknowwhatiknow » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:27 am

The Horse description, in case you're curious:

Horses are lively and high-spirited. They are happy in fields, can smell war, are provoked to race by a voice, are called to battle by the sound of the trumpet, grieve when defeated and exult when victorious. Some horses can recognize an enemy in battle and attack by biting. Some recognize only their masters and will allow no other to ride them. Only the horse weeps and grieves for its dead or dying master. Mares are sometimes impregnated by the west wind. There are three kinds of horses: noble, good for battle and work; common, good for carrying burdens but not for riding; and hybrids, born from a mixture of two kinds.
"If I think I can figure things out, is that curiosity or arrogance? I know what I know." - Topher Brink, Dollhouse.
iknowwhatiknow
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:24 am

HAHA!!!

hit it over the head with an iron bar???? :D my Joey doesnt speak.... will that hit a voice into him??? poor little thing.... he wont like that... but atleast then he can TELL me that he doesnt like that :lol: :lol:
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Return to General & Off Topic