Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do extremely loud birds annoy you?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Do extremely loud birds annoy you?

Postby Chris&Akilah » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:47 am

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:
greymatter wrote:It would only bother me if I had neighbours attached to my home (we're in a detached, so that's a-ok)

I wouldn't count on a single-family dwelling being sufficient to not bother neighbors unless its on acreage. There is a bird several streets away we can sometimes hear when our windows are open. We think it is a cockatoo. It's voice is carrying a half mile or so.

Yeah, one of my friends lives in a typical detatched suburban neighbourhood, their neighbour has a small cockatoo (dunno what kind, can just barely see it through the window. I would guess Goffins cause it's not all that big). Apparantly, it makes a helluvalotta noise every morning that can be heard throughout the neighbourhood, even with windows closed. I'm never over there that early so I havn't heard it. It's been there for 25 years, I guess people used to complain but everyone's pretty much given up.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby mrstweet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:03 pm

My mom has a sun and a jenday and I CANNOT stand the shrillness of their screams. Cockatiels also have the higher pitch scream that can be very annoying. Thankfully none of my tiels do that. My too has a lower 'voice' which is the only reason I feel like I can handle his loudness.

However, any bird that had a loud volume would be annoying if repetitive. Higher pitches hurt my ears and since I have fairly sensitive ears (migraines induce very easily) I try to stay clear of the louder, higher pitched birds.

I think part of this is exacerbated by having walls and places sounds can reverberate. If I were in the rainforest I am sure I would enjoy. :) And I certainly don't get the nails on a chalkboard feeling I get when I hear a baby cry or scream. :hatched:

ETA: You can here my goffins outside with all the windows closed, but I actually live in a duplex and my neighbor swears she doesn't hear Baby in her kids rooms (most immediate to us).
Last edited by mrstweet on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Postby Grey_Moon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Going to agree its pitch, not volume.

For example, gimme a macaw or a too anyday----the flock call of my tiel and the smoke alarm noise my grey likes to make when he feels ignored drive me up a wall :lol:
Same token, Sully could whistle all day and I'd be overjoyed, Jacko could meow nonstop for an hour and I'd think it was hilarious....but as soon as it gets to be those shrill sharp noises count me out!
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby MandyG » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

Grey_Moon wrote:Going to agree its pitch, not volume.

For example, gimme a macaw or a too anyday----the flock call of my tiel and the smoke alarm noise my grey likes to make when he feels ignored drive me up a wall

I completely agree. My Amazon can be very loud but he doesn't bother me at all. My Gold Capped Conure's high pitched screams drive me insane most days. Just being in her little room while she's screaming is enough to make my ears ring for hours. I usually wear ear plugs when she's out with me. Thankfully she's slowly getting a little quieter when she's out with me, but it's a slow process because she was positively reinforced for screaming for 9 years in her previous home.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby GlassOnion » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:42 am

I don't know.. I've heard a macaw at a petstore before, and it sounded like a man being slaughtered to death while his vocal cord was giving on him. Yes, a man being slaughtered to death.
I've heard cockatoos on youtube as well, and it gives me shivers because it sounds monstrous. That's when every positive thought about cockatoos disappeared in my head.

The suns on the other hand, just have a loud ringing call that sounds very bird-like and natural even if it is loud.
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Chris&Akilah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:01 am

To me sun conures sound like broken smoke alarms, only louder :shock: . It's all up to personal preference and hearing I guess. I don't like high-pitched sounds. that's why AKilah's "RAWWWk" is ok but "KREEEEE!!!" is not so much. err nevermind...it's late...
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:06 am

surprisingly. yes loud birds annoy me and run my patience very short. but only if im around them 24/7 i couldn't own a cockatoo or a macaw but i would work with them every day at a zoo without a problem

jango is loud he has his moments but i put him outside when he wants to get loud and cool off. (gotta let them get it out of there system or they will scream all day for attention)
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic