Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Speaking Parroteze

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Speaking Parroteze

Postby captwest » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:10 pm

OK so you got your parrot to speak people,so can you get your people to speak parrot? I hate to start this without being able to video and post, but never mind.All the amazons but especially our older pet hens speak their own language , many times using their own language be fore resorting to human words to get their message across. These "words" are usually very subtle for most situations but become more urgent and repetitive when the stress level rises.My wife and I can tell you what our pets are saying at anytime and usually agree on the interpretation. Speaking back to them in their own language is something very different , I try and some times incan reassure a bird or "converse" somewhat but usually only in the more subtle , quieter ,happy sounds, like when your cuddling, or " pick me up i want to go" sounds. Tonight i learned an evil trick, they are very keen on food being prepared or eaten ( hard to sneak potato chips around my house) when one bird notices something food related is going on , they make a special sound and everybody starts, BEGGING. Well to night i try that call just once and everybody fell for it and started begging, I let it die out for a few minutes and did it again, and again, my wife and i rolled in the floor. The begging dosen't last as long as it used too.they don't know if it's a false alarm or not , and who started it.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Re: Speaking Parroteze

Postby zazanomore » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 pm

I can understand some of the calls they make.

Whenever I leave the room, Einstein starts contact calling me. The same with the budgies if one is far away from the other one. It's them saying "where are you?"
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby captwest » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:05 am

Hey Zan, It' a shame more people don't spend as much time listening to their birds as they do trying to teach them to talk! Heck they're already talking your just not listening.
captwest
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby zazanomore » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 pm

I probably spend more time tweeting at my birds than I do talking to people :P
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby lzver » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:44 pm

captwest wrote:Hey Zan, It' a shame more people don't spend as much time listening to their birds as they do trying to teach them to talk! Heck they're already talking your just not listening.

I hear you on this one Richard. I am noticing it more and more with the Meyers I adopted back in October 2010. She doesn't speak any human words, but she definitely speaks to me in her own language. She has a very excited high pitched chrip she uses when she's happy to see me - her eyes also show excitement at the same time. I just love her more as I get to know her ... she's got the cutest little laid back character ... very different from my Red Belly and Senegal.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby lzver » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 pm

zazanomore wrote:I probably spend more time tweeting at my birds than I do talking to people :P

Some days I spend more time talking to the birds than I do my family :shock: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

I have the definite impression that the humans in the house speak pidgin-parrot and the birds speak pidgin-parrot, English and little bit of cat.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby GlassOnion » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:19 pm

What is pidgin?
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Tandi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:48 am

What a fab post, and I have to say that I totally agee! Jodi doesn't speak words yet, but she communicates with us very effectively just by using her sounds...she has a certain chirp she makes when she is hungry and wants food and then she also has a certain sound she makes when she wants to go somewhere, so when she's on her cage and wants to come to the couch where we are and vice versa! All we have to do is listen, they tell us exactly what they want! Their ability to communicate is amazing!
Tandi, Jodi :amazon: and Jet
Tandi
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: Orange winged Amazon
Timneh African Grey
Congo African Grey's
Mealy Rosellas
Indian Ringnecks

Postby captwest » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:21 am

Hey Jodi and Tandi, i think it's more of a amazon thing, they seem to have a larger vocab than other birds, even macaws or toos and even CAGs who seem to be more mimics.It's pretty neat to be able to read your bird so well, i'd guess my pets have about 10 or 15 "words" that i can understand. Just wish i was as good at their language as they are at ours. :lol:
captwest
Amazon

Next

Return to General & Off Topic