Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

parrot rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: parrot rescue

Postby kaylayuh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Depending on how far you are willing to travel, there is a rescue in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. Depending on where you are in North Carolina, I believe they'd be about 6 - 7 hours away. It's a 13 hour drive from Lexington, Kentucky, if that puts the distance in perspective.

When I looked at their website earlier, they had quite a few Amazons. Their website is http://www.bailey-foundation.org
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby kaylayuh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 pm

The Bailey Foundation also has a Maryland affiliate where they house birds, and that would be much closer to you. You can email j_not_in@yahoo.com with any questions you may have. She's wonderfully helpful. And they have the printable application on their webpage, so you can get it out there right away.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby liz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:08 am

I have been in contact with Ethel at Lucky Parrot in Florida. I contacted her because she posted a photo of a flock of Amazons. They are beautiful. She said they all tolerate each other but have buddy groups. Is that a wonderful thing?
I found a girl named Selma and could not remember where. I put adoption applications out everywhere. Red Dog Farm called me yesterday and said that I was approved. Wrong bird. I can't afford Hilda at $1000 at this time.
I went back and searched my saved emails and found her again. She is still waiting and I did get an app in there. I reminded them how much I want her.
I didn't tell them on the app but I buy purified spring water at $60 a month from Crystal Springs for my pets (dogs and cats included). That and my referances (I can't spell) should get me approved.
I can't wait for Selma. She was rescued from a parking lot last winter after being out there for 3 weeks. She needs me.
Liz
P S Was that too long?
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby captwest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Hoping everything works out.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby liz » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:34 am

Well - I couldn't afford Hilda from Red Dog Farm. CPR said my house had too much activity for Selma. Those are the two shelters near me. I will move n.
Liz
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby liz » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Myrtle (blue front Amazon) was in SC and $300 for her and cage. The woman's other birds did not like her so she had to go fast. I left yesterday morning at 9:00 and got her by noon but didn't get home until 11:00 today because we stopped overnight. She is shy and withdrawn so I thought it would be better to introduce myself before I introduce the rest of the house hold.
I should not have bothered. She loves all the activty here. When my son stopped in, she sang La La La to him and asked for a tickle. The woman did not know that she could say that!
I am pleased with Myrtle but she will take some work for handling.
She doesn't like picked up and won't step up - but when she flew off the top of the cage and did a controlled crash - then she stepped up and sat on my shoulder.
All she has had is seed and water. She is eating peanuts right now and loving them. She hasn't tried a raw vegi yet. She puts her mouth on it but won't take it.
Rambo has changed personality already. Right now he is on my shoulder and preaning my ear. He was only doing that with my daughter.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic