Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birds out together?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Birds out together?

Postby kaylayuh » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

I finally moved around my apartment so that I could put the budgies cage next to the GCC cage with the playstand in between. I haven't let either them out together yet, but what suggestions would you all have if I decided this is something I wanted to do? And how do I introduce them to eachother without jeopardizing their wellbeing?

Since I've moved the cages, Pigpen (budgie) has been flying to Cheney Bird's (GCC) cage. When Cheney Bird comes over to investigate, he'll try to reach his beak through the bars to get at her tail. Cheney Bird isn't cage aggressive and seems only to want to see what she is, so I see no huge problem with this right now as I'm watching them constantly while they're out.

Cheney Bird also goes to investigate the budgie's cage and see if there's anything he can play with over there. He seems more interested in the toys and food than he does in the birds. Pigpen likes to go after his toenails though, so I don't want to get his feet hurt or anything.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Birds out together?

Postby Vikki » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:12 pm

There's really no wrong or right way to go about this. The only key is to be prepared. Have a towel handy in case you need to split them up, but the best thing to do is open both cages and let them investigate on their own and be prepared to stop any fights. Do not have any food or treats around for the initial visits, that tends to make them territorial, but otherwise its all just winging it, so to speak :)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds. - Aesop
Vikki
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Jardine's parrot, Catalina Macaw, Harlequin Macaw, Hahn's macaw

Postby APMickie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:01 am

When I first started introducing my conures to my tiels I had their cages in the same room and gradually moved them closer together until they were about an inch apart(this only worked cause I had less birds and smaller cages lol) then I would open doors (always being right there just in case) and letting them explore. Now, they are all just one big flock. Their cages are next to each other and if I happen to move one of the birds away from the flock, the entire group left behind starts contact calling.
Mickie
APMickie
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Tiels, 2 GCC, 1 Sun conure and hopefully very soon a CAG.

Postby kaylayuh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:13 am

I have their cages pretty close together now, only a playgym separates them. I let them out individually to explore the new surroundings, so it sounds like I should continue to do this slowly and hope they get along.

Thanks for the suggestions!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby zazanomore » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 pm

For the first bit, I never had them out at the same time. However, whenever Einstein was out, he'd fly on top of the budgies cage, and whenever the budgies were out they'd land on his cage.

At first, my female budgie was a bit cage aggressive. She would try to bite Einstein's feet whenever he was on their cage.

Eventually, I just took them all out. I knew that if anything went wrong, I'd be right there. It's not like I'm dealing with elephants, I can easily tell Einstein to step up, and he'd be out of the situation.

Luckily though, they all seemed to enjoy each others company. Once Bonnie got used to Einstein, she had no more aggressive issues.

Bring Cheney over to the budgie cage. Does he show any aggressive behaviors? If he does, I'd wait a little bit longer before introducing them. However, if he shows curiosity, I think it would be safe.

Just supervise them.

Birds always do better in the presence of other birds!
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby kaylayuh » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:25 pm

zazanomore wrote:Bring Cheney over to the budgie cage. Does he show any aggressive behaviors? If he does, I'd wait a little bit longer before introducing them. However, if he shows curiosity, I think it would be safe.

I don't think he cares about Pigpen and No Name. He just wants to be glued to me. He'll sit on the rope perch adjoining the two cages, but only to preen himself and see if he can see the budgies.

I had Pigpen and Cheney Bird out together today and she was more interested in flying around him than he was in her. He went over to investigate her once or twice, but she'd fly to her cage or the other side of his cage. No Name has no interest in Cheney Bird. I don't think he has interest in anything other than his toys and food so Cheney Bird and No Name haven't really encountered eachother yet.

Overall, I think they should be fine out together as long as I'm in the room with and paying attention to them.
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby mrstweet » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm

Pay veeeery close attention to your greenie. Jealousy is often a huge problem - mine does fine with my tiel and lovebird but she was the 3rd of them. When one of our new lovebirds was here for a little while she attacked them like crazy all the time. Good luck!
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus

Postby kaylayuh » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:33 pm

mrstweet wrote:Pay veeeery close attention to your greenie. Jealousy is often a huge problem - mine does fine with my tiel and lovebird but she was the 3rd of them. When one of our new lovebirds was here for a little while she attacked them like crazy all the time. Good luck!

I don't let them out together unsupervised because Pigpen (budgie) can be a little instigator and doesn't realize how tiny she really is. Cheney Bird (GCC) went to poke her with his beak yesterday when she kept trying to poke him. They weren't really aiming to bite.. more like nudging the other away with their beak, but I don't want to let it get to that point.
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Return to General & Off Topic