Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Import a bird from the US to Canada

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Import a bird from the US to Canada

Postby Mr.Darcy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 pm

Hey all,
Has anyone bought a bird in the states and had it shipped to Canada? And if so what was the procedure. I checked online and it seems that you have to own and be in possession of the bird for 90 days prior.....not feasible. I found my dream species at a breeder in Florida and I am in Vancouver Canada.....
Thanks
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Import a bird from the US to Canada

Postby sidech » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:22 pm

I don't know but what's your dream bird that can't be found in Canada Mr. Darcy ?

You've got me very curious...
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby captwest » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 pm

If you lived in the US and had a pet bird that was a cities 1 or 2 and you wanted to take your personal pet with you , it's not that big of a deal. Anything else is.Yes there are opions, but that is the basics.where there's a will ,there's a way.Legally in your situation it could take years if possible, however i know little of your situation.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:05 am

After doing some googling and calling the Canadian Border Authority, it appears that if you have not been in possession of the bird for 90 days prior to bringing it into Canada, you will need a permit to do so. Since I called the Border Authority, they gave me a number you can call for more information. That number is 1-800-461-9999.

For an application to import a live animal: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... erme.shtml
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby captwest » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:00 am

Yes and you also need an export permit from the US,Good luck, FWS might not be at work,and it's had to get anywhere with them when they are at work.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:34 am

kaylayuh wrote:After doing some googling and calling the Canadian Border Authority, it appears that if you have not been in possession of the bird for 90 days prior to bringing it into Canada, you will need a permit to do so. Since I called the Border Authority, they gave me a number you can call for more information. That number is 1-800-461-9999.

For an application to import a live animal: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/ani ... erme.shtml

Awesome thanks for the help!!

the parrot is a blue napped parrot (tanygnathus lucionensis) There are only two pairs in Canada and neither has had any babies, but I did find a breeder in Florida who has a pair on eggs, so if I start the process now, maybe it would be ready by the time the babies are......if the breeder is willing right now she is not but I am trying to change her mind!!
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Meyer's parrot

Postby kaylayuh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Always happy to help. And besides, it gave me a reason to practice my French. :)
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:54 pm

tres bien!
Maya Angelou

Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Meyer's parrot

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 pm

¿Ahora Hablamos Español? Sprechen wir Deutsch?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby kaylayuh » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:17 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:¿Ahora Hablamos Español? Sprechen wir Deutsch?

He estado tratando de aprender español, pero yo soy muy malo. Mi novio es mexicano y él y su familia hablan español perfectamente.

Můj dědeček nás učil česky jako děti. Jsem jen opravdu dobrý s daty. Zbytek je velmi špatná.

أستطيع أيضا قراءة التواريخ العربية :D
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Next

Return to General & Off Topic