Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

dad fed up with bird :/

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: dad fed up with bird :/

Postby Nevermore » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:38 pm

And this is why I like animals more than people.

I'll second that.

My parents wont intentionally hurt Jack. But they don't always listen to the important advice...My dad gets a kick out of getting me riled up. He'll intentionally do things I don't like just to irritate. He doesn't seem to 'get' just how dangerous being outside without a harness is to Jack.

I've been moved out multiple times since I was 17. Back and forth to school and such. But I'm back home now to save money for my own place. I'm 24. But I"m still their 'kid'. Education, age and employment mean nothing to your parents. You're still their kid.
Wild animals are called 'wild' for a reason. Keep them that way. Adopt your pets, or buy them from a certified breeder.
Nevermore
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheeked Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby GlassOnion » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:41 pm

I have similar experiences with irresponsible, arrogant parents....
I packed up my stuff when I was 17 and moved out, for various other reasons too.
She doesn't know where I live.

Group hug everyone, group hug... :(
GlassOnion
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby zazanomore » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50 pm

I wish I had the guts to just move out...oh well, I'll be gone in September!

I'm really thankful my family is terrified of birds. Einstein really hates my step dad, and the one time he tried to pick him up, Einstein lunged at his face.

*hug*
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Saerphe » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Yeesh, I guess I got lucky! My parents are both biologists, specializing in conservation of habitat. Or were before they bought a campground, heh. Dad is still on the local stewardship committee though, and he's working on clearing some of our local waterways that are important for native fish and waterfowl to survive. :D

I can thank them for my love of animals. They raised me to respect all animals. Their idea of a fun day out with the kids was to go to the local bird sanctuary and watch the Tundra Swans land. They pretty much never denied me a pet, as long as I did a ton of research first and could demonstrate my knowledge. I had to research for two years before I got my dog. I had to research almost as long before they bought me my cockatiel (though I probably would have steered them clear of cockatiels if they'd consulted with me. Then maybe she wouldn't have had to be rehomed. :( )

Now I'm that girl who's all gung-ho to touch and interact with anything. I'm the one with my hand way up in the air to hold the reticulated python, or slipping on a glove to assist with a raptor show. I've held everything from armadillos to tarantulas to barred owls. I love it.

I probably would have gone into animal behavioural studies myself, if I didn't hate doing science and lab reports so much. :lol:
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby mrstweet » Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 am

Any update on this situation? Rainbow is beautiful. If possible I would move the cage into your room away from your dad. That is NOT acceptable behavior around parrots and if you can sit him down and explain to your dad that he's creating problems you will have to handle with this bird for the next 20 years maybe he will smarten up.
Amanda & her Tweethearts

My blog: http://featherdust.wordpress.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/floofybird
mrstweet
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Goffins Cockatoo, Peachfaced Lovebird, Green Cheek Conure, Cockatiel, Eclectus

Postby Giantmoa » Wed May 04, 2011 7:46 pm

Rainbow has been spending the day in my room and, although reportedly still loud, it isn't so bad on my dad's ears with the wall seperating them. When I'm home rainbow hangs out with me or on her playstand.The main issue is when we eat dinner and she wants in on the action (and loudly expresses her wishes) but I've been giving her fresh veggies then so she's occupied. It's still not the ideal situation but at least stress levels have gone down and my dad has been better about it, though he still thinks he's right :gcc:
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Previous

Return to General & Off Topic