Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

It's confirmed, I'm a bird person now.

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

It's confirmed, I'm a bird person now.

Postby Vicki5280 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 pm

I was browsing the internet just now, and ran across this:
When I realized that I'd rather spend $1,200 on a new room for my babies than something for myself, my house, my husband, or my kids, I figured I was pretty much a goner.

The feathers have gone to my brain. :)

(Here's the website in case you're interested. The stainless cages are gorgeous... totally out of my price range, but something I plan on buying when I hit the Lotto next week! :lol: )
http://www.getbirdstuff.com/getbirdstuff/home.html
Bucky - Quaker :monk:
JJ - Turquoise GCC Image
Vicki - Me! :dancing2:
Vicki5280
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker, Greencheek Conure, Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: It's confirmed, I'm a bird person now.

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:06 pm

I bought new cages less than a month ago, and I'm eyeing them again. I've been drooling over the Cages By Design custom built bird cages for months. I just wish I had $9,000 to spend on one.

The hybrid bird cages are beautiful, even though I'm not usually a fan of the acrylic or glass fronts. There are still bars on the side, though, so I think that kind of changed my mind. They're just huge and I think they're freakishly beautiful. It makes me sad to look at my cages and see those cages.

http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-BirdCages.aspx
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby patdbunny » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 pm

You SO do not have a husband and human children! What are you? Like 17? At least that's hold old you look in your avatar. Ok, I'm officially old when everyone looks under 18 to me.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. My human family members get so excited when they walk in the kitchen and I'm baking and cooking and it all smells so good; then they get all deflated when I say it's for the birds, not the humans.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:15 pm

patdbunny wrote:Yeah, I know where you're coming from. My human family members get so excited when they walk in the kitchen and I'm baking and cooking and it all smells so good; then they get all deflated when I say it's for the birds, not the humans.

Sounds like my boyfriend and his mom. Except she takes the tamales and the tostadas and burritos to the church for them to sell and makes her husband and my boyfriend eat 10x reheated tortillas. ;)

What is it that you bake for the birds? I've been thinking about trying to make a bird bread for the budgies since they took to pooping in their sprouts rather than eating them.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby patdbunny » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:27 pm

I just use the Jiffy cornbread mix and modify it with veggie bits, throw the egg shell in it, etc. There have been concerns voiced about the salt content in the jiffy mix, but I've been using it for over 15 years and, I dunno, I'm happy with it. What amount is "too much" in terms of salt for birds? If you have the concern, just find a basic cornbread recipe and leave out the salt.

I do a carrot cake for the birds, too. I leave out the sugar and reduce the oil called for in the recipe. I'll throw in a handful of pellets. Sometimes I'll grind up the pellets into a powder and put it in. Sometimes I throw a handful of bird seed into it. I try to modify something each time I bake so it stays interesting to the birds, but they're familiar with the food item in general.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:25 pm

kaylayuh wrote:I bought new cages less than a month ago, and I'm eyeing them again. I've been drooling over the Cages By Design custom built bird cages for months. I just wish I had $9,000 to spend on one.

The hybrid bird cages are beautiful, even though I'm not usually a fan of the acrylic or glass fronts. There are still bars on the side, though, so I think that kind of changed my mind. They're just huge and I think they're freakishly beautiful. It makes me sad to look at my cages and see those cages.

http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-BirdCages.aspx

Just a heads up that Cages By Design makes awful products defective products. Not only that but they cannot support them. And I'm not the only one, if you look up reviews and complaints about them or talk to people who actually bought their junk, you'll realize it's everything short of a complete scam. No one should ever trust that company with their money because the quality and service does not even come close to what you expect for those prices.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby kaylayuh » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Michael wrote:Just a heads up that Cages By Design makes awful products defective products. Not only that but they cannot support them. And I'm not the only one, if you look up reviews and complaints about them or talk to people who actually bought their junk, you'll realize it's everything short of a complete scam. No one should ever trust that company with their money because the quality and service does not even come close to what you expect for those prices.

That makes me really sad. I love the way their cages look, but I must admit I've not looked further into them because I don't have the ridiculous amount of money to spend on one. Luckily my boyfriend is really handy with stuff like that, so he could probably build one for me.
kaylayuh
Amazon

1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Margaret » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:43 pm

Vicki5280 wrote:It's confirmed, I'm a bird person now.

And you didn't know that yet :thumbsup:

patdbunny wrote:You SO do not have a husband and human children! What are you? Like 17?

:roll:
Yesterday as a small reward for myself (since I change job for better paid) I bought bigger cage for budgies :lol:
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby Vicki5280 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:12 pm

patdbunny wrote:You SO do not have a husband and human children! What are you? Like 17? At least that's hold old you look in your avatar. Ok, I'm officially old when everyone looks under 18 to me.

Yeah, I know where you're coming from. My human family members get so excited when they walk in the kitchen and I'm baking and cooking and it all smells so good; then they get all deflated when I say it's for the birds, not the humans.

Ha Ha! Thanks for the compliment! Two of my kids are older than the age you guessed ME at! My youngest is 14 (and may not live to see 15), and I think YOU'RE my new best friend! :)

And it's pretty funny what you said about the food! My daughter woke up the other day (at 1 in the afternoon- grrr!) to a FABULOUS smell. She came up the the kitchen, and in her half-asleep, excited voice asked, "What are you maaakkiinnggg?!?" Then she lifted the lid and saw oatmeal with brown rice, long grain wild rice, zucchini, sweet potatoes, apples, and pumpkin seeds, and she quickly became disappointed. :cry: The smell of cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, allspice, and a touch of brown sugar sure got her out of bed though!

Personally, I thought it was pretty good! :thumbsup: So did the birds!
Bucky - Quaker :monk:
JJ - Turquoise GCC Image
Vicki - Me! :dancing2:
Vicki5280
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker, Greencheek Conure, Lovebird

Postby patdbunny » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:26 pm

I so don't believe you have teenage children! My daughter's 15. I fed her bird food as a toddler. For real, the mash I was making at the time - sprouts, frozen veggies, fresh veggies, fruit, bean pasta cooked mix - she got a little bowl of it to eat in front of the TV before I added all the birdie vitamins and egg shells. I think she's traumatized forever.

The only thing my family knows for sure is for them is the chocolate cake. I have some carob. . . I should make a carob cake and fake them out. :lol:
Roz

patdbunny
Amazon

Next

Return to General & Off Topic