Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I had a fantastic trip of a lifetime in Australia

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

I had a fantastic trip of a lifetime in Australia

Postby Polytelismedia » Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 pm

I went to Australia to film parrots and filmed 50 species. All except the rare night parrot. It was a blast although after I spent 2 years editing my film on Aussie parrots. Now that its done its so fun to interact with others who love parrots and love to see them flying wild and free as much as I do.

Here are a couple of youtube clips of the series in case anyone is interested:
Cockatiel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-5MEXfAMDg
Sulphur Crests
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPXycZnEI3A
Rainbow Lorkikeets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDeQzuRpQo
Polytelismedia
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None currently but lots in past
Flight: Yes

Re: I had a fantastic trip of a lifetime in Australia

Postby sidech » Sun May 01, 2011 9:33 pm

What a wonderful time you must have had !

If you have any information about Eclectus, I would be very interested. Maybe on your website ?
sidech
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Red Sided Eclectus

Postby zazanomore » Sun May 01, 2011 9:35 pm

I really enjoyed watching the cockatiel video.

I rarely see videos of cockatiels in the wild.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby kaylayuh » Sun May 01, 2011 11:50 pm

I love seeing parrots in the wild. So often we see budgies and cockatiels in pet shops and forget that they actually are wild birds.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 am

the photo you posted with the rainbow lorikeets was that taken at curumbian wildlife sanctuary?
i have been there and it looks very similar
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby Margaret » Mon May 02, 2011 5:27 pm

I ordered set of all your 4 DVDs a while ago. They came fast and I have to say I'm spending a wonderful time watching them. Yes, I keep playing them over and over :)
I could recommend this set of your fantastic movies to everybody. I learned a lot- didn't even know that they're so many types of cockatoos, now I like even more Scarlet Chested.

Thanks for detailed information and good luck with your next documentary(I hope) :thumbsup:

Q: Your nickname on this forum and the business name: Polytelismedia.
The first part: Polytelis is coming from one of the Australian parrots species: Superb Parrot, Regent Parrot or Princess Parrot. Why ;)
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby Polytelismedia » Wed May 04, 2011 9:24 pm

sidech wrote:What a wonderful time you must have had !

If you have any information about Eclectus, I would be very interested. Maybe on your website ?

Hi Sidech: There is only a very small bit of information on my website about Eclectus. However I will describe my encounters with wild Eclectus a bit. First of all its an amazingly beautiful haunting sound to hear Eclectus pairs heading back from feeding forays to their nest sites just as it gets dark and you are awake in your sleeping bag preparing for the next day of filming. Their cries carry a great distance and are very primitive to be sure.

The other thing I noticed is that females were very dominant and bossy at the nest sites. Literally hammering/pecking males out of the way when they wanted to enter the nest cavity in a hurry. Also in one tree where I filmed Eclectus it was huge! Several cavities in it and it appeared to me the Eclectus had the best sites.

There were also Sulphur-crested Cockatoos nesting there like neighbors to the Eclectus. In any interaction it appeared the Sulphur-crests were totally intimidated by the female eclectus and got out of their way in a hurry! Almost like... when a female eclectus wants something every body bows to that! Eclectus were powerful fliers and seemed to cover distance pretty quickly. They also were very easily suspicious of anything out of the ordinary around their nests. Of course I had to use a blind to film them.

http://polytelismedia.wordpress.com/2008/10/
Polytelismedia
Parrotlet

Postby Polytelismedia » Wed May 04, 2011 9:26 pm

zazanomore wrote:I really enjoyed watching the cockatiel video.

I rarely see videos of cockatiels in the wild.

Glad you enjoyed it zazanomore. Cockatiels in the wild are amazing fliers. I was surprised at how fast they flew and how graceful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-5MEXfAMDg
Polytelismedia
Parrotlet

Postby Polytelismedia » Wed May 04, 2011 9:28 pm

TheNzJessie wrote:the photo you posted with the rainbow lorikeets was that taken at curumbian wildlife sanctuary?
i have been there and it looks very similar

Yes! When it came time to film Rainbows I knew that Currumbin offered opportunities like no other place for filming. I was able to have them literally inches away and of course that allows for some wonderful close-ups! Here is a youtube clip of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLDeQzuRpQo
Polytelismedia
Parrotlet

Postby Polytelismedia » Wed May 04, 2011 9:39 pm

Margaret wrote:I ordered set of all your 4 DVDs a while ago. They came fast and I have to say I'm spending a wonderful time watching them. Yes, I keep playing them over and over :)
I could recommend this set of your fantastic movies to everybody. I learned a lot- didn't even know that they're so many types of cockatoos, now I like even more Scarlet Chested.

Thanks for detailed information and good luck with your next documentary(I hope) :thumbsup:

Q: Your nickname on this forum and the business name: Polytelismedia.
The first part: Polytelis is coming from one of the Australian parrots species: Superb Parrot, Regent Parrot or Princess Parrot. Why ;)

Margaret so delighted that you are enjoying your DvD set! One of the most rewarding parts of the adventure is simply sharing it with others.

Here is the brief story about my name on here and also why my business name is Polytelis Media.

The Polytelis parrots: Superb, Regent, and Princess to me are the epitome of grace and beauty in a parrot. A major reason for choosing this group lies in my love for the Princess Parrot.
I owned a male and a female kept in my aviary back in Canada many years ago. I was so intrigued by them. Their beautiful calls back and forth and that graceful but powerful flight. Not to mention their stunning patterns and colors.

Having had a fairly long (17 years) career in wildlife research I wanted to know about this species in the wild for decades. My pair motivated me to intrigue. What habitat did they live in? What did they eat? Did they sound like my captive birds? How did they avoid predators? etc. etc. There was some information... ie. Australian Parrots by Joseph Forshaw etc. but overall very little.

When the internet came around my intense curiosity about Princess was fueled even more. I learned that they were found only in deep desert regions and that basically next to nothing was known about their feeding habits, breeding and overall biology. Not only that I learned that many people paid up to $3500.00 or so to travel on a Princess parrot expedition to search for this rare gem. I didnt have that kind of money so I did a great deal of research and found remote areas where the species was found. That was all I needed to kick me into adventure mode and off I went, with a mate from NSW into the extreme wilderness of Aus. With an amazing turn of good fortune after searching for a 10 day period I not only found Princess but filmed them. The amazing thing is that when you watch your copy of the DVD series on Princess you may be looking at the first-ever moving footage of this species on the planet. So you can see how inspired I would be to name my company Polytelis Media.

Thanks for your great comments Margaret!

Don
Polytelismedia
Parrotlet

Return to General & Off Topic