Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Favorite Bird?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Favorite Bird?

Postby kaylayuh » Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am

For those of you with multiple birds, do you have a clear favorite or preference towards one?

My boyfriend asked me which bird was my favorite a couple of days ago. I was kind of dumbfounded and said absolutely not, but I can see why he asked. I spend more time with Cheney Bird because he's more cuddly and likes to be interacted with. Pigpen and No Name don't really like to be held, pet or played with and will fly away as soon as they can. But I still have no clear preference and love them all equally, different though they may be.

We do have a pecking order that's followed, though. Pigpen and No Name always get first choice of toys and will get the new toys first. If they have a clear preference toward a toy, it goes in their cage. Their cage gets cleaned first, their food and water is changed first, they get treats first. Cheney Bird still gets his choice of favorite toys, foods and treats, but he gets everything second.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Favorite Bird?

Postby GlassOnion » Wed May 04, 2011 11:31 am

My cockatiel. Spice is very entertaining and such, but Apple will fly to me and whistle at me on my shoulder. :greycockatiel:
GlassOnion
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Ruppell's Parorot

Postby Natacha » Wed May 04, 2011 11:42 am

My relationship with each of my bird is different and wouldn't say there is any "clear cut" favorites.

When it comes to toys - I try to be equal. Either everyone gets one of the same or, in the case that the toy would be disliked by one due to personal preference, I'll get them each something they would like.

As for one-on-one interaction, it's more driven with how much the bird wants. So some get more - but it's only because the others decide to do their own thing. I don't force any bird to spend time with me, I let them come. I sometime have to share myself between Shade and Pixel, only because Pixel is a bit mean to Shade. But they get equal amounts if they both seem to want attention.

Petey is happy being on my boyfriend and only my boyfriend - so generally when it comes to my pecking order, he comes last because he wishes it that way.

Joey shares his time between my boyfriend and myself.

Piper generally is on me most of the time, but I can allow this with other birds without any fighting. Although lately he's started playing more on his own as well.

Zuri does his own thing most of the time so when he comes for a head scratch I happily oblidge. Doesn't mean he's less of a favorite.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby zazanomore » Wed May 04, 2011 3:59 pm

I have to say that I do have a favorite - Einstein! We have a much stronger bond than I do with the budgies.

That being said, I still love my budgies dearly. I will do anything within my power (and price limit :P) to keep them happy, safe and healthy.

I wouldn't trade them in for anything.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby kaylayuh » Wed May 04, 2011 4:23 pm

zazanomore wrote:I have to say that I do have a favorite - Einstein! We have a much stronger bond than I do with the budgies.

That being said, I still love my budgies dearly. I will do anything within my power (and price limit :P) to keep them happy, safe and healthy.

I wouldn't trade them in for anything.

I have a much stronger bond with Cheney Bird than I do with the budgies, but I still feel funny saying he's my favorite. I don't think I really feel like he's my favorite, though he's the one I interact with best. Pigpen will always be special because she's my first bird, and No Name is just so sweet that he reminds me of a baby. I kind of feel like saying I have a favorite feels like I'm picking a favorite kid!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Margaret » Fri May 06, 2011 3:03 am

I'd simple lay if I say that all my birds are favorite ;)
There are two:
Mango- first and most complicated of my budgies, completely non-socialized with people, but on the other hand the sweetest and the most curious of my budgies.
Chico -my Cockatiel, cuddle bug and wee, wee maker.
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri May 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Scooter is MY bird and was the first we had, so he gets preferential treatment at some level. Scotty I try to avoid handling too much because he's supposed to be my husband's and he does have a preference -- me -- so I try not to encourage it too much. OTOH, he's deeply amusing to have around. If I had to make a Sophie's Choice, though, I don't think I could do it. I care a great deal about both of them and they are each very special in their own way.

We are lucky, though, I think they are both very interactive, active, vocal and bright birds. Someday we may get a finch aviary and I doubt I'll feel the same way about the finches.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to General & Off Topic