Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

concern

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

concern

Postby idlepirate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:44 am

Hi all,

Sorry I havent had any time for the forum lately, been too busy starting up my business and havent had any time for anything.
however I have a problem since yesterday i want to get some advice on since im getting a little worried now.

Basically lorenzo has this bad habit of flying onto the top of the door everytime it opens and trys to fly after me when i leave but i usually close the door slowly and hes hanging on the otherside of it.hell always be on it as i walk in and will always try follow me out.
yesterday when i opened the door for a friend and was closing it in a split second he tried to fly over the door to get to my friend on the otherside but i wasnt paying attention and was closing the door normally and heard him yelp because he got caught under the door a bit (my worst nightmare) and i immediately paniced and he flew off to his perch again. he completely hated me at first and was frightened when i came near or tried to give him some treats to calm him down and apologize. he even refused sunflower seeds and got really panicy when i came near. my boyfriend went to him and he was ok to him, as in he let him scratch his head and give him a seed but he wasnt as usual just jumping on anyone offering attention. i figured he was in shock. but anyway i checked him out and everything seems ok, hes flying ok so nothing could have been hurt i think.
he was quiet the rest of the night and sat in a corner not making a beep and wouldnt go anywhere or do anything.by the end of the night he was ok with me again and stepped up and wanted to be put to bed so i put him in the cage no problem and covered him up.

this morning he didnt want to get out of the cage. first time in his life, i had the door open and he sat by his food bowl nibbling a bit and eventually eventually came out and flew around a bit and came to see me in bed like he does every morning but then flew back to his perch again. i think he stayed inside his cage sleeping longer. hes been ridiculously obidient, if i put my finger out hed step up, he wouldnt follow me everywhere and attack me anymore, wouldnt bite anymore or just fly onto me everytime i wanted to leave the room.
he ate his breakfast so hes eating ok. but he looked so tired like he hasnt slept all night. i didnt get much time with him as i had to go to work but he was in the bathroom with me and just dozzing off. honestly hes always flying around and being a pain, trying to attack me or get my attention or mess with whatever im doing . now he was chilled and so well behaved. i left to work he didnt even try follow me. i hope in some way he will stay away from the door now.

and anyway i came home from work now and he was still sitting in his corner so quiet. stepped up (instead of just flying onto me when i walk in the room) and ive had him on my shoulder since and hes just been falling asleep. he never relaxes on my shoulder, always tries to get my attention in some way. hes just snuggled now and all sleepy and quiet. he wont do anything.

is this normal from shock maybe? is he injured somewhere i dont know about but still eating and flying, does this usually make a bird extra sleepy?
or did this close call just knock some sense into him to be more careful and not do what he wants continuously and have more respect for me or something?

I dont know:( but im concerned.
idlepirate
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: concern

Postby Chris&Akilah » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am

To me, it sounds similar to this scenario: two kids fall down while playing in the playground, and scrape their knee. One kids parents pick him up, say "You're fine", and let him go back to playing. In minutes the scrape is forgotten. The other kids parent panics, makes a big fuss about the 'boo-boo', kisses and apologizes and takes the kid home. For the rest of the day, the kid is crying and carrying on about his scraped knee.

I see this scenario over and over again with kids and dogs. I don't see why birds would be any different. If he is acting normally with your boyfriend, but being 'funny' with you, he is likely just feeding off the anxiety you are feeling about him getting hurt.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby idlepirate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks chris,
I tried not to make a big deal but on the other hand you're first reaction is "i nearly killed my bird, is he ok!"

ive just tried to be extra nice to him today...on the otherside hes been extra nice to me so i hope he sees a connection with that as well.
it's the change of behavior i just wanted to make sure on. eating and flying so id assume hes ok.
just sleepyness:( just dont want to think everything is ok and then there's an internal problem i just can't see.
i do agree with you though on people who over react and then build it in their kids/animals brains that this was a big thing, make it a big thing.
idlepirate
Conure

Postby zazanomore » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:37 pm

I'd go to the vet, just to be careful. Birds can hide injuries really well.

If it turns out that nothing is wrong, then just act normal. I'm sure he'll get over it.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby idlepirate » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:46 pm

getting a little more worried, had him on my shoulder and chest all evening and he was just really down and would basically fall asleep on me and just want to be scratched. he loved being scratched and i was able to lift his wings which he let me but somewhere on his body he reacts and doesnt want me to touch just cant work out where. only sometimes. hes eating lots and drinking, had a look at him while he was eating and now i noticed that one of his wings is hanging lower then the other and there must be something wrong with it but hes ok with me lifting it or touching it. he can fly but hes choosing not to tonight, its weird. so yes something is up and im worried. i want to take him to the vet but now everything is closed and i need to find an avian vet, i will have to try find something tomorrow morning. ill see how he is in the morning as well, just put him to bed now. are there any major things to look out for that i should rush him to an animal centre or anything i can find if need be?
idlepirate
Conure

Postby MandyG » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Take him to the vet as soon as possible. It's always best to make sure there's nothing wrong. I had a similar incident last week (I'll write a more in depth post when I have more time specific to our incident) and Mojo was perched on top of the door for the room my husband was in. My husband is mostly deaf and didn't hear him fly up there and he got shut in the door. His toes were badly hurt in the process. I called the on call vet and they said it would be ok to wait until the next morning to bring him in. Long story short, for days he wouldn't make a peep (he's usually very talkative), he wouldn't play, he was very withdrawn but he was still eating and drinking. It was almost a week before Mojo started talking again and a couple more days until he was acting like his old self again. This happened last Tuesday and honestly today is the first day he's acting like he's 100%. Based on my experience, Lorenzo is likely in some sort of discomfort, whether it's mild or a severe hidden injury. It would be best to take him in just to make sure, the money is definitely worth the peace of mind and well more than worth it if there's actually something wrong that the vet can help with. I know your vet prices are likely different, but for an exam and medication for Mojo's foot it only cost me a half day of vacation time and $68 (Canadian dollars).
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby idlepirate » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:57 am

thanks mandy sounds like the same situation. "withdrawn" is the word i was looking for. i guess birds take things very personally and as much as i am enjoying this mellow side of him i know hes not happy and himself and will wait a few weeks for his personality back. he was trying to nibble my phone this morning so maybe thats a good sign. he just sits in a corner sulking otherwise.
i called all the vets in my area and nobody deals with birds!
there is only one exotic animal vet a bit futher but shes not around this weekend. so im stressing. i even tried the animal rescue people as they treat dogs and cats for free if you cant afford it but nobody wants to deal with birds. they said it might just be bruised and will heal itself but i dont want to have the guilt if its something that needs fixing. gut instinct is that its not too bad and its just a bit bruised that hes hanging it lower since when i lift the wing and touch him he tolerates it.
but now im stuck for the weekend, unless i can find someone in another town and get someone to drive me and lorenzo there. :( not sure what to do now.
idlepirate
Conure

Postby dusty » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:27 pm

after my amazon had his wings clipped he flew into the side of his cage...his one wing was drooping and he was lethargic, i felt really bad...but two days later he was back to his old self...i think it was a tramatic incident for him and perhaps it is the same thing for your bird...just keep an eye on your bird for a few days...if really concerned, see a vet

dusty
dusty
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: congo african grey...
blue fronted amazons...
sun conure...
green cheeked conure..
green pacifics

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm

How is he now? Were you able to get him to the avian vet?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to General & Off Topic