Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

have you ever saved any wild injured/baby animals?

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

have you ever saved any wild injured/baby animals?

Postby coral » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Today i tried to save a baby chipmunk, he passed away in my hands. ive saved baby squierells and chipmunks before so i knew what i was doing but he was so dehydrated and cold i couldnt save him.

It got me thinking about all the other animals ive saved or attempted to save. so i was wondering if anyone on here has saved any injured or baby animals? If so tell me some stories id love to hear them!

When i was younger we found a baby pigieon and raised him and got up every couple of hours to feed him and did this with multiple other birds and of course when they were old enough we let them go.
then we found some kittens over the years and bottle fed them to and now their our pets :)

i found a baby squirell over the summer and i got him hydrated and fed then took him to a shelter and he'll be released soon they tought him to forage and what not! i also did this for a chipmunk.

i found a just hatched baby bird that was pink and its eyes werent open yet and it fell out of a tree when the people cut it down. i tried to save it but i couldnt :(

ive also had a duckling before that i raised and it swam in my bath tub he lives on a farm now!

ive saved a baby deer thats mother got hit by a car and raised it and now it lives on a relatives property.

tell me some of your stories!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Re: have you ever saved any wild injured/baby animals?

Postby OneBirdAtATime » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:37 am

Wow, you must be an fallen angel from heaven!

I have no stories though one day, i did find a baby Sparrow and my little brother and i wanted to keep it and raise it ourselves but our parents said that if you let it outside, it'll eventually learn by itself. It was fairly hot outside so i did sneak out a plate of water, and some rice but the next day, the bird was gone.
OneBirdAtATime
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Peach-faced lovebird
Flight: Yes

Postby HungryBird » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 am

Baby rabbits (cutest things ever, must have been only 3 weeks old), baby blue jay, countless small voles, a hummingbird, an opossum that might not have needed assistance as it was playing dead already, and a baby duckling. Oh yes and my sister recently saved a baby bird upstate but I wasn't there to participate. Maybe some others, I'm not sure. Definitely way too many small furry animals to count but I specifically remember the baby rabbits, baby blue jay, hummingbird, opossum, and duckling.
HungryBird
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels, Parakeets, Meyer's

Postby Saerphe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:56 am

I saved a garter snake from a bunch of kids once. I picked it up and took it to the woods to let it go. It was so docile that I didn't even have to restrain it. It just looked around and enjoyed the ride. :D
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:55 am

I saved some lizards. Their home turned into a buildingsite and they were uprooted from their home way too early. It was early febuary and way too cold. So I bought a special box and food and kept them for a couple of months. I named them :)

When I was young I saved some kittens.

And ofcourse our parrot Jo is saved... found her outside.
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Postby coral » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:43 pm

@onebirdatatime- lol im not an angel just an animal lover! im going through highschool in an animal care program and i hope to go to college to become a vet specalizing in birds ;) and sometimes ive heard that wild birds can still take care of the young even if they fall to the nest and will move them to a safe place. not sure if its true or not though?

@hungrybird- Thats awesome i found a baby rabbit once and we waited a day and since there was such a busy road by my house we thought the mom got hit by a car but after a few days we saw the mom and we got close enough to the rabbit to let the baby go and it ran right to her she smelled the baby then they hopped away lol :) ive also had so many little furry animals to count the ones i listed are just ones that stood out in my memory :) what was it like to have an opossum? and oh my gosh what was it like to raise a hummingbird?! that must have been crazy lol!

@saerphe- thats really great that you saved it from those kids! they can be so mean i dont understand why people want to hurt innocent animals. Thats cool that it was so calm about being picked up!

@rebeccaturpeinen- Thats awesome that you saved the lizards did you end up letting them go? what kind of lizards were they? i tried to save a lizard from some kids that hurt it at the beach i moved him away and brought him some water but he just stayed in the one spot after that and died :( and you found your bird outside?? that must have been crazy to just see such an exotic bird just hanging out outside lol!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 am

@rebeccaturpeinen- Thats awesome that you saved the lizards did you end up letting them go? what kind of lizards were they? i tried to save a lizard from some kids that hurt it at the beach i moved him away and brought him some water but he just stayed in the one spot after that and died :( and you found your bird outside?? that must have been crazy to just see such an exotic bird just hanging out outside lol!

Im not sure what they are called in English... they were some kind of water lizard and every spring they would go down to the water to find a mate but their water source and stuff was gone because of the build so they were just walking around on the parking lot not knowing where to go. Plus they woke up way too early because of the noise, it was still too cold for them. When it got warmer after a couple of months we took them to the woods with lakes and let them go. Here are some pics:

Image Image
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Postby Saerphe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:49 am

rebeccaturpeinen wrote:

Im not sure what they are called in English... they were some kind of water lizard and every spring they would go down to the water to find a mate but their water source and stuff was gone because of the build so they were just walking around on the parking lot not knowing where to go. Plus they woke up way too early because of the noise, it was still too cold for them. When it got warmer after a couple of months we took them to the woods with lakes and let them go. Here are some pics:

Image Image

We call them Salamanders. There's another species that are called Newts, but I'm not entirely sure what you've got. It looks a bit like the yellow-spotted salamanders we find in Ontario sometimes. They're actually more closely related to frogs. :D
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm

They're actually more closely related to frogs. :D

Really?? Learn something new every day!! :D Funny thing; the Danish word is also salamander!! Didnt know that word existed in English. They were very cute anyway.
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Postby Saerphe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:13 pm

rebeccaturpeinen wrote: Really?? Learn something new every day!! :D Funny thing; the Danish word is also salamander!! Didnt know that word existed in English. They were very cute anyway.

I looked it up, and what you rescued are definitely salamanders. Newts are more toadlike in that they have dry velvety skin with warts. :)

They're really neat animals. They can regenerate lost limbs. Some species have no hind limbs and look almost like eels. And then there are some like the axolotl that are completely aquatic.

Some of them are huge too, like the Chinese Giant Salamander, which grows up to five feet long. :D Amazing to think about, really.
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Next

Return to General & Off Topic