Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Licking Own Poop!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Bird Licking Own Poop!

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:57 am

Hi everyone,

Need some insight/advice on some potentially concerning behavior I've noticed our Senegal to be doing. So he just officially got over a GI yeast/bacterial infection. He's since definitely perked up, is talking/chewing a lot more etc. But I've also noticed him to accidentally step in his own poop on occasion, then lick his feet clean with his tongue. :? It's really worrying me that he'll regain some sort of horrible infection by doing this. We try to wipe the feces off his feet for him, but he resists, even when toweled. I try my best to clean up whatever poop I can after him, but with how frequently birds defecate, it's just unrealistic to think I can catch every single one. Growing up, my family had a TImneh grey, and he never did anything like this. I don't think our bird is trying to purposely eat his own feces as I've heard other birds do. It's more that he's just seemingly careless with where he steps and I guess he thinks it's okay to lick his own poop. We're trying to train him to use one of those "bird diapers" to prevent the poop being around at least when he's outside of his cage. Do others' birds do this? Can is really cause the health problems I'm worried about. Any other thoughts/ideas?
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird Licking Own Poop!

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:38 am

Well how do you expect him to get it off otherwise? Kili would do the same thing. If I see her step in her own poop, I grab her and run her foot under the sink to wash it off. This wouldn't happen in her cage cause it mostly falls through the grate. This just happens if she poops on a table or flat place and then steps back in it.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Hmm... didn't think of trying to get his foot under a sink. The poop he steps into in his cage is the stuff that randomly happens to land on various perches now and then. But I doubt he'd be thrilled with us trying to get him into/near a sink. Maybe I could get him to step into a shallow dish of water or spray his feet with water? I have the feeling he'll try licking it off regardless. I know Kili is healthy, so I'm hoping his doing it now and then won't be hugely harmful to him.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:43 pm

For the most part, I try to have a lot of height between perches and poop collection areas. Kili lives predominantly in the top half of her cage so it is infrequent that she might tread through poop at the bottom. As I said, pretty much the only time it will happen is if she is on a table or floor, drops one, and then walks right through it. You see in the wild they are nearly always in trees, so it's not their problem where it lands cause their butt hangs over the branch. Most of the time Kili steps in poop is when she is on a flat place which can only be in the cage so if I see this, I just grab her and hold her foot under running water. Or I can use a paper towel to wipe it off.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Are :senegal: s ground foragers? Someone online told me they'd heard such. But PeeWee also spends the vast majority of his time on perches etc. Would make sense for a non-ground forager to not know to avoid his poop on a flat surface.
pfinarffle
Conure

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:03 pm

No they aren't really. But they do like to play on the ground and roll on their backs.
Michael
Macaw

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet