Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The Grocery Store

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

The Grocery Store

Postby tattoo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I was just at the grocery store and I was looking for some new fresh fruits and veggies for Tattoo. I normally get him carrots, peppers, mangos, apples, plus some other normal goodies. Today as i was checking out some of the offerings i saw Okra. I passed it a few times and then thought i would try it. (we will find out tomorrow if he likes it) but i started to wonder if there was anything besides the obvious (avocado, onions) i should not be getting.

Anyone try these and if you did how did you present it and how was it received?

Star Fruit
Radishes
zucchini
acorn squash
potatoes ? cooked or raw?
horseradish root
ginger root
chestnuts
papaya
lettuce
green tomato

other than these, any other suggestions to use or not use.
tattoo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: No

Re: The Grocery Store

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:49 pm

tattoo wrote: (we will find out tomorrow if he likes it) but i started to wonder if there was anything besides the obvious (avocado, onions) i should not be getting.

Some references say tomatoes and mushrooms are also on the no-go list. Also, stone-fruit pits can be bad. I have brought all kinds of new veggies into the house for Scooter!

Anyone try these and if you did how did you present it and how was it received?

Radishes -- sliced and slivered, he liked them pretty well.
zucchini -- no, but yellow squash. cubed. He ate some.
acorn squash -- no, but butternut which is similar. Diced. Not well liked.
lettuce -- romaine, he liked OK. His favorite way to eat greens is cut into chiffonade, but I'll also sometimes wrap a slice of apple in it and put on a kebab. Or cover the dish with it.

other than these, any other suggestions to use or not use.

Corn
Fresh peas
Edamame
Cherries
Blackberries
Asian pear
Bean sprouts (wash carefully)
Kale
Cucumber
Anaheim chile
Sugar snap peas (a Scooter favorite)
Chard
Blueberries
Fennel bulb
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby miajag » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:04 pm

One of the only fresh vegetables my Quaker will eat is broccoli - I think she likes the "seed-like" texture of it.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Postby Suzzique » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 am

Just a note ALL potatos both regular and sweet/yams should be cooked. They can make our birds sick if you feed them raw. I have not heard one way or the other on okra. I also hadn't heard much about tomatos but both of mine love spaghiti and pizza. While I have not tried star fruit a friend on another forum says her birds love it! For the rest of the veggies if they don't like them raw try cooking them. Try giving them in lots of different ways to see what they like best. Same for temp they may like something warm better than cold or the other way around. Eatting the food yourself in frunt of your bird and making a big fuss about it will also get them more interested. Don't give up keep trying it took me 9 months to get Alex to eat a grape. Which he loves now. Goofy bird. Oh and the papaya the seeds are good for them as well as the flesh. The papaya seeds are good for us as well they help with digestion. :thumbsup:
Alex - cag
Martini - senegal
Suzzique
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: CAG, Senegal

Postby oknuma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:16 pm

squashes , batman loves them cubed and in his foraging bags. I have also dehydrated pieces of squash as well which she loves. and dont forget pumpkin /squash seeds are full of nutrients!

Radish batman loves whole or on her fruit kebab skewer

zuchinni raw and chopped into her vege/fruit mash

lettuce - Lettuce can be good for making lettuce tacos etc for your bird but remember that if you are using iceberg lettuce it has zero nutritional value and really just makes them poop more LOL

apple straight on kebab spear , its her favourite

other things we use -
kiwifruit
nashi pear
grapes
spinach bunches ( i hang a bunch in cage )
celery sticks
mango
strawberries
blueberries
rasberries ( etc on berries LOL )
rockmelon ( cantelope i think you call it )
Paw Paw ( Papaya ? )
Honey Dew Melon
bananas
parsnip
fresh beetroot ( its messy though)
fresh chillies ( another huge favourite)

and the list could go on for ever

another friend online carves out small squashes and fills them with birdie salad /vege mash, puts lid back on and puts out for her birds, they love it.

also dont foget birds are just like kids. sometimes you have to present the same foods several times for them to even try it let alone like it :D
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet