Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

kiwi the picky IRN

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

kiwi the picky IRN

Postby danamaynah » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:30 am

hello all,

Kiwi is an Indian ring neck that's about 6 months old more or less, me and my husband have had him for around 2 months now, he hasn't completely accepted us yet, he seems like he would step up if asked only to make us go away or use us to fly somewhere higher ( he was clipped when we got him but is able to glide now rather than fly). he recently enjoys head scratches but only when he's calm or in the mood, enjoys having showers. my main problem right now is to get him to eat better he prefers his sunflower seeds over anything and I have given him mixed seeds he would pick the sunflower ones out, I offer him fruits and vegetables everyday, but he is not excited about them even though I eat with him to encourage him. two days ago I decided to remove the sunflower seeds and use it as treats give him other mixed seeds and fruits however he doesn't touch his food and I'm really worried that he would starve I'm gonna try making mashed potatoes for him today and will update this post, in the meantime if anyone could help me with ideas on how to get him to enjoy the food I offer that would be great.

p.s I'm planning on getting him pellets as well

:irn:
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: kiwi the picky IRN

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:55 am

Removing the sunflower seeds from his seed mix is a step in the right direction as they appear to be somewhat addicting to most parrots, which I believe is due to the high fat content of the sunflower seeds and this is what makes them a high value item for use as treats. In the same fashion, if you are making seeds available to him all day he will always choose to eat the seeds over foods such as fruits and vegetables or whole grains as they do not have the high fat content and parrots crave high protein and high fat foods which are needed for the rearing of their young.

I think that I would start him with an offering of a fresh fruit, a vegetable and a leafy green first thing in the morning while nibbling on them with him and then giving him some whole grains cooked al dente, so that they are soft on the outside and still chewy on the inside for his regular breakfast and for all day long and only feed the seed mix without the sunflower seeds in the evening for his dinner. However to begin with I would mix some of his seed mix in with the cooked whole grains until he begins to eat some of the grains and then stop adding any of the seeds and start adding some vegetables to the grains instead.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby danamaynah » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:15 am

thank u so much for replying. I have offered him cooked pasta a few days ago and he took one nibble and that's it he didn't want to have it, he seems to me like hes too lazy to bite or chew on hard things and there isn't an apparent scar on his beak or a break so his beak is not injured, I'm making him some mashed potato for his dinner
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:19 am

Welcome to the forum, Dana and Kiwi! Let's see if we can help you out with your problem. First of all (and correct me if I am wrong), it doesn't sound as if you offered him soft food when you first got him and you should have because he was still a baby. He is now a juvenile and, although the window for them to learn what to eat never actually closes, it gets harder and harder as they get older. Now, about the mashed potatoes... not a good idea. For one thing, they would need to be organic (potatoes are in the 'dirtiest dozen' list), they would have to be mashed with the skins on (it's the only part of the potato that has any real nutritional value) and, of course, they would have to be just potatoes and absolutely nothing else mixed with them. But, although mashed potatoes as I described, per se, are not bad, they are really not very good, either -especially for a bird that eats only seeds- they simply don't have that much nutrition in them. You need to get him to eat veggies that pack a punch nutritionally speaking - things like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, blueberries, etc. so, if you are going to offer him mashed anything, give him mashed sweet potatoes mixed with blueberries, for example.

Wolf is 100% correct in that, as long as he is been free-fed any type of higher protein food, you will not be able to switch him over to a better diet and, when it comes to IRN's, free-feeding seed, even the lower protein mixes, is never a good idea because these birds don't eat that many seeds in the wild, they eat mostly fruits, buds and blossoms so it's imperative that you get him to eat a large selection of produce. Try the cooked whole grain (wheat, oat groats, kamut, hulled barley, etc) just slightly cooked at first and mixed in with just the tiniest sprinkle of grass seeds (like millet and canary seed, for example). And add some baby jar food which is thoroughly pureed and will stick to the grains (but nothing with spinach) as well as some fresh corn (never give a bird dry corn) and baby peas, for example -the idea is for this healthier food to resemble, as much as possible, grains or seeds. Another highly nutritional food that is easy to get them to eat is pomegranate seeds (they all LOVE them and they are in season now but make sure the fruit is ripe before you cut it open).

Offer this dish warm one hour after dawn (he should have no food whatsoever in his cage when he wakes up) and leave it there all day whether he eats it or not, then, when you see the sun is halfway down to the horizon in the afternoon, turn off the artificial lights and give him his seed dinner (only enough to fill his crop and just a bit extra to ensure he is not going hungry). Once nigh falls naturally and he is asleep, take out the seeds so you can do the same thing the following morning. Once you get him to eat this most basic gloop all the time (it should take about 3 days), you can start adding other stuff to it - like chopped broccoli, finely diced carrots, butternut squash steamed and made into small cubes, etc. And, once he is eating the 'good' gloop, you can start working on the raw produce.

But, a word of caution, it takes a looooong time to get them to eat any new item of produce you offer (it might take as long as years!) and the key to success is persistence persistence persistence. You simply have to keep on offering the same thing over and over and over (not every day, he should get a different fruit, veggie and green every day of the week), even if you end up throwing it away.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:41 pm

It is the hardest thing to get fids to eat there veggies and they will undoubtedly waste it for quite some time until they develope a taste for them. With my 10 fids the produce bill is enormous! One trick I use is to make the veggies out to be a toy so they can chew them up and destroy them, thus getting a taste for them and familiarity with different produce. I take shiscabob skewers and thread whole big chunks of carrots, peppers ( different colors ) , broccoli , bockchoy , whole romain leaves and whatever other veggies that they can eat raw . I hang these in there cages or where ever they are playing and just leave them have at it. You can thread pieces of apple or orange sections in it too. My husband curved the straight end of the skewers just enough to be able to still thread the goodies and hang on something. I've also drilled whole almonds and walnuts to thread in between the veggies and fruit to get the party started. Hope this is helpful , good luck B.W. :D
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:28 am

When a parrots parents, in the wild, start teaching it to recognize a food, to eat it and how to find it, they begin shortly after it has fledged and while still feeding it themselves. They get their young to perch on a branch and wait for them while they o and get a food and bring it back to the branch where they take great pains to show this food to the young and then proceed to eat the food themselves without offering any of it to the young birds. They continue this process which also shows their young how to eat this food, until the young bird first begins to ask for some of this food and then to beg for it, then to demanding some of it until at last the young birds work up enough courage to try to take it away from the parent birds, and of course the parent birds make it easy for their young to steal a bite or so of this food from them.

While I am not saying that you need to do this in the same way that the parrot parents do, I am saying that you might want to take note of the way that the parent birds go about this and use it to your advantage by sharing snacks and meals with your bird and not just giving it to him right off but holding off on sharing it with him until he is at least demanding that you give him a bite. This tells him that this is a very special food and it will speed up the process of teaching him to eat a larger variety of foods.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:33 pm

danamaynah wrote:thank u so much for replying. I have offered him cooked pasta a few days ago and he took one nibble and that's it he didn't want to have it, he seems to me like hes too lazy to bite or chew on hard things and there isn't an apparent scar on his beak or a break so his beak is not injured, I'm making him some mashed potato for his dinner

Mine don't want naked pasta. The want some sauce on it they chow down. I have to give them some of mine. I can't stand the begging.
I have put Rainbow's morning nut under the softened grain thinking he will learn to like the grain. He knows the nut is there and dives to the bottom to get it then leaves the rest for Myrtle to clean up.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby danamaynah » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:46 am

I appreciate all of your replies :thumbsup: . he wasn't interested in the mashed potato but when I made my self some baked potato I ate some in front of him and joined me so I mashed it for him and he really liked it, offered him some chili peppers but he didn't fancy that, other than the sweet potato he didn't want to try anything else I'm gonna try the gloop and see how it goes. eating the food in front of him helps a lot in encouraging him to try the things I offer, but he still seems to be very picky as he tries it then refuse to have it.
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:59 pm

I am not criticizing you, I am asking out of curiosity: why did you feel you had to mash the potato? My birds eat potatoes (regular and sweet) in chunks - they even hold them in their 'hands'...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby danamaynah » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:19 am

I mashed it coz i noticed he prefers to eat soft food, when ever i give him something hard to chew on he just takes it and drops it even if i eat it infront of him, ill keep on offering him solids its probably beter for him to strengthen his beak am i right?
danamaynah
Lovebird

indian ringneck

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet