Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Harrison's Pellets?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Harrison's Pellets?

Postby lzver » Sun May 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Does anyone or has anyone fed their birds Harrison's pellets?

I got a sample of the fine and coarse Harrison's pellets from our vet this weekend. I'm kind of disappointed - the fine pellets are very small and the coarse pellets are quite large. They don't have anything in between. They recommend the fine pellets for Lucy and Jessie, but I really wish they had a size in between. I gave them samples of both as treats tonight and they seem to like them. There is a lot of waste with the coarse ones because they are so large and they were able to take the small ones from my hand and seemed to eat the whole thing without any waste.

Just wondering if anyone else has fed them to their brids and what their opinion is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: Harrison's Pellets?

Postby pchela » Sun May 02, 2010 7:10 pm

I use the coarse ones. My birds just ignore the small ones. There is a lot of waste but if they eat them over their bowl you can sometimes salvage some of the crumbs and use them in birdie bread. If yours like the small ones though, I'd just stick with them. They are supposedly the best pellets you can get for your birds.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby myakando » Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 am

I've fed my guys both the corase and fine sizes. I try not to think about the sizes soo much. The birds are able to eat either size. Harrison's has had many consumers complain/request an 'in between' size but they're not going to do it. They simply believe that the size of the pellet are more for the owners than the birds. Birds do well regardless.

As for my flock, the big guys get the coarse, the little guys get the fine.... I just keep it simple ;)
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby lzver » Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have been giving them both the fine and coarse as treats every day and they don't seem to care either way - they eat both sizes. I'll probably go with the fine - at least they seem to eat the whole pellet where there is a lot of waste with the coarse.

It's nice to know that Harrison's care so much about customer service ;) Afterall it is us humans purchasing the food for our birds.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Postby pchela » Wed May 05, 2010 2:20 pm

I've been doing some research and I think I'm going to switch to Roudybush. They are way cheaper and from the research I've done, not inferior in quality so I don't see any reason to pay so much more. A 25lb bag of Roudybush for $34.99 or the same size bag of Harrisons for $99.99. Not a tough decision!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby lzver » Thu May 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion pchela. I printed off some Roudybush reading material read. I'll be spending 5 hours in the car tomorrow, so I'll have some reading material to pass the time.
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Postby pchela » Fri May 07, 2010 1:09 am

If you don't mind, will you let me know if the Roudybush is inferior to the Harrisons?
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby lzver » Fri May 07, 2010 4:39 am

I'll definitely let you know my thoughts are once I'm done researching and comparing both.
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet