Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

UV lighting

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

UV lighting

Postby Jsef37 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm bringing home my first macaw in a couple of months, and have been trying to research exactly how to provide the best possible environment. I've come across a lot of conflicting information regarding UV light requirements. Do macaws require UV lighting to stay their healthiest? Or does it not really make a difference? I have no problem getting one if it's recommended, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!
Thanks in advance for any information you can give!
Jsef37
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Harlequin macaw
Flight: No

Re: UV lighting

Postby molinash19350 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Hello,

For a Macaw, you should most likely get a UV light.
The UV light can help the Macaw get some vitamins in the skin,
Specifically Vitam D3.

:danicing:
molinash19350
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: Yes

Re: UV lighting

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:59 am

Sorry but I disagree 100%. What you should get is a good quality (CRI 93+ and K temp of 5000) full spectrum light and put it in the ceiling fixture. Let me explain why. It is true that birds see in UV and, for that alone, you should provide it (birds are the most vision-dependent of all the vertebrates) but the full spectrum does along with a wider range of wavelengths. The only way that UV light allows them to produce their own vit D3 is if you put too close to the cage (in those clamp lights they sell) and that burns their corneas (I know of three birds that went blind because of this mistake) and can even burn their skin, especially the macaws that have no feathers on their faces. Putting an UV farther than that will not work at all so you would still need to supplement it (which is what I recommend).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet