Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Ice?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Ice?

Postby cstone01 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:08 pm

Our alexandrine has recently started stealing ice cubes out of empty glasses and chewing on them. The first time I saw it I thought he would drop it very quickly because of the cold but was shocked by how long he held it(maybe close to 4 min). is this bad? Should I prevent it? The ice has only been in water so he’s not licking anything flavorful off of it. I thought if it was super bad or uncomfortable he would simply drop it and wouldn’t do it againbut it has gone on for multiple days.

I know that eating ice can be a sign of anemia and other health problems in humans. My husband has fed him homemade Popsicles in the past( just let him eat off one while he holds it).he also may be more stressed out than usual we have a new bird in the home.

I’m mostly worried about him getting too cold from it.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Alexandrine, Major Mitchell
Flight: Yes

Re: Ice?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:00 pm

I have read many reports and comments on parrots that like ice. Mine do not have any access to it so I have no personal experience with this behavior but I do not think it would harm them to munch on an ice cube. And I am sure that he dropped it when it got too cold for him to hold in his 'hand'. But, even if he did not, birds feet do not get frostbite. Nature gave them a special way of keeping their feet warm enough so they don't freeze even in very low temperatures by putting only a largish vein and the corresponding artery next to each other going into each foot so the warm blood that comes from the bird's body and goes down into the feet keeps the colder blood that is going back into the body warm enough to flow (it's called 'countercurrent exchange system). This is actually one of those things that are a double-edged sword because having only one source of blood flow going into each foot also means that, if this 'source' is damaged in any way, the foot loses blood circulation, withers and falls off.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby cstone01 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 am

Thanks for the reply, I vaguely remember the countercurrent exchange blood system In duck feet from way back in University. I’m glad it’s not bad for him.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Postby cstone01 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:26 am

Thanks for the reply, I vaguely remember the countercurrent exchange blood system In duck feet from way back in University. I’m glad it’s not bad for him. I know I get cold even drinking ice water and his body is so tiny it worried me.
cstone01
Cockatiel

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet