Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

baby Green cheek conure scream loudly during formula feeding

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

baby Green cheek conure scream loudly during formula feeding

Postby jennygcc » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:06 am

I got 5 week old GCC , I hand feed for a week without any issue. but from yesterday, she scream very loud and flap one wing during the formula feeding, she does not eat a lot . so I feed here 3 times a day. A few minutes after feeding, she will stop screaming and try to climb to my shoulder. she also eat a little pellet and millet on her own. her crop is empty in the morning. she has a little vomiting at night but not much since I found some dried formula around where she sleeps. she is active and seems not sick which i am not sure. please let me know why she is screaming very loud during feeding. thanks a lot.
jennygcc
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: baby Green cheek conure scream loudly during formula feeding

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:28 am

Hi, Jenny and GCC, welcome to the forum. Are you weighing the baby everyday to make sure it's gaining weight steadily? Is the formula at the right temperature throughout the entire feeding? The right consistency (it changes as the baby gets older)?

I have to tell you that buying a baby at 5 weeks is a BIG mistake because they are too fragile, require too many feedings (3 x day is not enough), deprive them of lessons they learn from the parents and it is absolutely unnecessary because it's not as if the bird would bond deeper with you because it's younger.

If the baby hasn't reached a weight of 70 gr. on its 6th week, there is something wrong with it and you need to take it to a vet because babies that have not been fed correctly (mind you, I am not accusing you, I am just stating a fact) develop sour crop very easily.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: baby Green cheek conure scream loudly during formula feeding

Postby prohan » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:15 am

It's possible that your GCC is experiencing discomfort or pain during the formula feeding, which could be causing her to scream and flap her wing. Some potential causes of this could include an improperly mixed or too-hot formula, or a feeding syringe that is too large or uncomfortable. You should also make sure that the formula is not too hot, as this can cause burns or discomfort in the crop and esophagus.
prohan
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot, Cockatiel, Cardinal, Orioles,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet