Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parakeet seems to have calibration issue

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Parakeet seems to have calibration issue

Postby Quietwalker » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:45 am

Hi everyone,

Posting here to figure out if anyone has seen this before. I've brought to the vet twice but they don't seem to be able to notice it. Got vitamins but no help. It does seems to have eyesight issue though not at first when i got it.

The bird when sitting still, seems to unwillingly drop its head back as it it has some balance issue or calibration issue.

Ive posted the video through this you tube link.
Any thoughts will be appreciated

https://youtu.be/Um9InfBxNxs?feature=shared

Thank you,
Arul
Quietwalker
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Peach face parakeet
Flight: Yes

Re: Parakeet seems to have calibration issue

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:03 am

Hi, Arul and lovebird, welcome to the forum. I don't see anything of concern in his movements... he does seem to have the tiniest stargazing syndrome but good vitamins and good diet should take care of it. Make sure he is getting good food (cooked whole grains, vegetables, fruits, leafy greens) and not just seeds. As far as I know, nobody really knows what causes stargazing but I personally believe that is a consequence of malnutrition. I had a lovie that had been starved on purpose (boyfriend getting back at girlfriend), the female died of starvation and although poor Slim was left alive, he had a super severe case of stargazing. In young birds, I believe it's due to depleted parents and bad diet so make sure he gets good food because, although vitamins are good, they are never as good as nutritious food. One more thing, you don't 'solve' malnutrition in a few weeks, it takes a looong time for the body to get all better so be patient and, in the meantime, get the poor lonely bird a companion, lovebirds are terribly unhappy when alone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Quietwalker » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi Pajarita,
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I will continue to encourage it to feed on vegetables and grain as well. There are tqo birds but unfortunately as they didnt get along I had to seperate them. Will conside getting a new partner for it.
Will continue to monitor and see if it improves.
Kind regards,
Arul
Quietwalker
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:21 am

If they didn't get along, you most likely had two females (male and female or two males are OK but, most od the time, two females are not) so, next time, try to see if you can find a male but don't put them in the cage together, put them in separate cages side by side for a couple of weeks first.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Quietwalker » Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:17 pm

Hi yes,
Tried separate cages first and also let the more aggresive suspect leave its cage to the others' territory.
Thanks for the gender matching info, didn't know that.
Arul
Quietwalker
Parakeet

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet