Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Nuts, as food that is.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Nuts, as food that is.

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:22 pm

So, the dry food mix that Scotty has been eating has pellets and extruded nuggets of various sorts, banana chips, cinnamon, star anise, pistachios and almonds. He seems to pick out his favorite bis an is particularly fond of the nuts. In fact, we bought him some additional nuts (human grade in shell) and I think if we aren't careful he'll stop eating everything else! He really likes them and he seems to enjoy cracking them, so they work as a toy as well.

I have read two very different viewpoints on feeding nuts. One is that Capes should be fed a LOT of them (Both Eb Cravens and Jean Pattison seem to have said this) and another is that nuts are prone to be contaminated and should be avoided or shelled. Does anyone have any further insight into this?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Nuts, as food that is.

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:36 pm

I give my caique nuts, she loves them. I give them to her whole and fresh, except almonds because she can't quite open them herself. However, I make them treats due to fat content, and if she is particularly active one day she gets some extras with her daily feed. I know this isn't helpful at all... Just showing support. :P
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:43 pm

I feed nuts too. The birds have too much fun eating them, they`re good nutrition AND it`s part of their enrichment.

I can`t worry about every possible contaminant...but I do smell the nuts to make sure I can`t detect anything moldy on them or otherwise unpleasant. I also inspect individual nuts to make sure they`re not already cracked, where they could prove to be a source of bacteria, or have spoiled...
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Let's clarify some things first.

A) This is specific to Cape Parrots and not for all parrots
B) I wouldn't go so far as to say "a lot" of nuts but they can definitely have more than usual for other similarly sized parrots.

The rule of thumb Jean Pattison told me is an almond a day as part of the diet. Sometimes a different nut can be used in place such as a walnut. Beyond that, nuts should be treated as treats as for any other parrot. So if I'm giving my Senegal about 5 nuts a month, then that is the same bonus the Cape gets. The only reason he gets more now is cause of injury. Otherwise I serve the one diet nut in pieces as training treats.

Cape Parrots require the higher fat content that is normally terrible for other parrots.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Azure Hanyo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:55 pm

In all fairness I DID specify that I was in no way helpful...
:lol:
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:05 pm

Peanuts are the ones you have to particularly worry about fungus in the shells. For a Cape Parrot, let me correct that, for any Poicephalus Parrot, peanuts are a joke. :lol:

For a Cape Parrot, an Almond hardly presents any challenge at all. You gotta step it up to walnuts. Thus far Truman has not been able to break a walnut entirely on his own, but if I get a crack going, he can rip the thing into a pulp in under an hour.
Michael
Macaw

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:39 pm

YEah, Scotty found the almonds no challenge, but a hazelnut took awhile to open and he needed help with the walnut. Yes, we gave him too many nuts at one time!

How MUCH does Truman eat. I kind of feel like Scotty is eating less than Scooter. We'll get a weight at the vet's today and I'll start working with him on the kitchen scale so we can see if he's maintaining.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Between Jean and I, the consensus is that Cape Parrots don't eat very much. They barely eat any more than a Senegal Parrot although thrice the mass. They have a slower heat loss and metabolism so they get by on roughly the same amount of food.
Michael
Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:02 pm

My guys get nuts pretty often. They are hidden as foraging treats and are in shell so it's an additional forage opportunity.

I'd say they each get an almond, pistachio and a couple of pine or cedar nuts each day. Pine nuts are the favorite.

Jardine's apparently also require a higher fat diet. I've read to supplement with olive or other oils but that seems like so much fat!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby 67gtonut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Buddy loves nuts....

Ceder nuts and Almonds.... Gets a few Almonds a night.... keeps him quiet :lol:

Loves the peanuts, but just too easy to go thru..... gotta keep him challanged!!
67gtonut
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet