Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Nutriberries?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Nutriberries?

Postby zazanomore » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:46 am

Does anyone feed their birds nutriberries? I was thinking about maybe adding it to my birds' diet. I hear that the birds really enjoy it and that they eat all of it.

Do you think this is a good idea?

What are your nutriberries reviews?
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Nutriberries?

Postby Azure Hanyo » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I have them for Archimedes and he likes them, but will pick at them and waste a lot of it. Galileo will eat every bit of them! Even if some is wasted, they are great foraging foods. I give them an 8 out of 10, but only because they are kind of pricey. :)
Azure Hanyo
Amazon

Postby pchela » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 pm

My birds love them! They get two a day usually and they know where they are kept so when I open that cabinet, the birds get really attentive.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:46 pm

I like the concept a lot and was hoping to get Scooter eating those instead of the loose seed mix he prefers, but he just throws them out of his bowl! Scotty seems to like them as treats, but since he's actually eating pellets, I probably won't try to make them a part of his diet. I do think it is a good idea, sort of the best of the seed and pellet worlds at some level. In theory the binding agent that holds the thing together has the supplemental nutrients, so any bite is relatively balanced compared to a plain seed or grain.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:29 pm

My birds love them! My Amazon bites off chunks and drops a lot but my Conure picks at them and barely wastes any. They usually only get them a couple times a week because they're expensive and not available in my area.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Jenny » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:37 am

my vet recommended them, & my bird loves them. Aaron is primarily fed pellets, but I've read/been told that cockatiels do need quality seed as part of their diet, so he gets one Lafeber's nutri-berry per day. Aaron recognizes the sound of my opening the tub, & gets prancy in anticipation. He's a funny boy.
Jenny
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
white-capped pionus

Postby zazanomore » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:16 am

Jenny wrote:my vet recommended them, & my bird loves them. Aaron is primarily fed pellets, but I've read/been told that cockatiels do need quality seed as part of their diet, so he gets one Lafeber's nutri-berry per day. Aaron recognizes the sound of my opening the tub, & gets prancy in anticipation. He's a funny boy.

aww :) :cockatiel:
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby lzver » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:38 am

I don't feed the actual Nutriberries anymore. When Jessie was to the vet, she said he was a little 'chubby' so she recommended removing nutriberries and treats of that nature from their diet. I have made home made nutriberries which use prunes and dates as the base and you can add any nut/seed you want. They do enjoy these. Mix them all up in the food processor and roll in balls and keep in the fridge. I only make about 1 dozen at a time so they don't spoil.

Lately both Lucy and Jessie go bonkers for raw whole almonds. The vet suggested them as a low fat treat and they love them. They get 1 a day and may get a second on a weekend.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:01 pm

As a treat, the homemade version sounds great (but is it actually lower in calories?) but when fed as a dietary component (and most except the popcorn are formulated so they could be the entire diet) the advantage is that they are vitamin and mineral supplemented just as pellets are. They are basically an un-ground-up pellet. The supplementation is in the binding ingredients. FWIW.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Natacha » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:39 pm

My guys adore them.
The know the container in which I keep them and if I end up holding it....well...I get the full undivided attention :lol:
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet