Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Great recipe that my birds love!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Great recipe that my birds love!

Postby pchela » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 pm

This is a recipe by Sally Blanchard that I have been making for my birds. They love it. Thought I'd share!

The following recipe feeds my 6 parrots of various sizes and appetites for their morning meal. ‘Glop’ also makes a great hand-weaning food to finger feed your bappy.

•1 small jar of baby food carrots, sweet potatoes, or winter squash (I use Earth’s Best because it is organic - they also have high vitamin A vegetable varieties with chicken and turkey. I occasionally use apricot, peach, or papaya baby food.) You can also use baked yams, winter squash or cooked, mashed carrots.

•3 slices of coarse whole-grain crumbled toast. (I vary the bread but use the healthiest bread I can find without sugar and salt. I particularly like a Ezekiel Low Sodium Bread available in many Health food stores.) You can also use high quality cooked grains such as quinoa, amaranth, etc. and/or oatmeal.

•2-4 Tablespoons of nonfat plain yogurt.

•I highly recommend adding a a few drops to a 1/2 teaspoon of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA). There are several varieties available including Flax Seed Oil. Adding EFAs to the diet has helped quite a few parrots with feather destructive behaviors.

•Optional: 1/8 cup high quality hand-feeding formula, ½ t of Essential fatty acids or a sprinkle of a spirulina or wheat grass type supplement (these supplements should not be added to the Eclectus diet).

Put in a large bowl and mash together until toast is saturated with baby food and yogurt and everything is evenly mixed. Consistency can be changed according to your parrot’s preference. Mine like the toast chunky and the mixture thick - about the consistency of a moist turkey dressing. ‘Glop’ is ready to feed - it does not have to be cooked.

Anything that is nutritious can be added to the glop for a variety in texture, color, and shapes. I will feed it plain or mix one or more of the following: finely chopped collard (mustard or turnip) greens, kale or broccoli flowers, grated carrots, wheat germ, flax seed meal, oat bran, no sugar breakfast cereal, low salt V-8 juice, grated tofu-cheese, nonfat cottage cheese, chopped nuts or raisins, chopped very hard boiled egg, pasta, brown rice, well, cooked chopped chicken, powdered pellets.

Remember that any soft food will develop bacteria if left too long in the cage. I serve each batch fresh & never use leftovers as ingredients. I never have to worry about this mushy mixture going bad because all of my birds eat it as soon as I put it in their food bowls.

My grey, Whodee, loves his ‘glop’; and my double-yellow, Paco, has relished this food—barely coming up for air when I feed it. The nutritious mixture as a part of their diet has kept them healthy for almost 35 years. Their feather condition is superb.

If you only have one bird and want to make the whole batch, the ‘glop’ can be rolled into balls or placed in an ice cube tray and frozen. Thaw as needed but don’t overcook. Add any supplement after heating since heating can destroy the vitamin A.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Re: Great recipe that my birds love!

Postby Kathleen » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:01 pm

Wow!

Thanks for sharing. :)
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Crazy Bird Lady » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:48 am

Glop... coming to a foodcup near me soon! I think my birdies will like this one!
parrots arent mere ornaments, and they're hardly "just a pet" they are intelligent and emotional creatures who want our companionship. As a bird owner, its a pleasure to make my parrots lives as happy, enriched and healthy as possible
Crazy Bird Lady
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 5 Budgies and 2 Cockatiels

Postby myakando » Thu May 13, 2010 8:38 am

I made this for my birds yesterday and they LOVED it. THANKS! :thumbsup:
myakando
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Goffin's cockatoo, Severe macaw, Red Fronted macaw, Peachfaced lovebirds, Fisher's lovebirds and cockatiels

Postby pchela » Thu May 13, 2010 1:07 pm

Cool! I'm glad others are having luck with this recipe! And it's so easy to make and really not expensive.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet