Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help with Pellets

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Help with Pellets

Postby oscar-and-jess » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:50 am

Hey,
I have currently got my oscar on seeds which is what he was weaned onto, i want to know if i should change him onto pellets and how i should go about that( i know there is probaly a post on here somewhere but i am too tired to look at the moment, lol)
I have had a bird previously that was on pellets at the recomendation of the vet, and he did alot better, he was very sick when i got him,

i dont know how to change over my baby, he is a 10 week old lovebird and will only eat seeds, if i change him over do i do it cold turkey or gradually, i have tried to put them in now and he just gets them out of the way of his seeds, please help i want the best for him he wont even touch the fruit and veg that he gets daily either

thanks Oscar and Jess
Oscar and Jess
oscar-and-jess
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischer Lovebird
Flight: No

Re: Help with Pellets

Postby notscaredtodance » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:36 am

because he's 10 weeks, old, and should have JUST been weaned like, a few days ago, a week at most, I'd try grinding the pellets up and mixing them with hot water to make a creamy mashed potato consistency handfeeding formula. If he wont take the new formula, try mixing it with some of his old formula, which I hope the breeder gave you.

You can just put it in the smallest spoon you've got, or something similar, I just use one of those plastic spoons.

Also, put your finger into the formula and stir it. If it burns your finger, it's too hot, if it feels hot like a shower, it's just right. The bird probably wont be too picky if its too cold, but try not to let it get below lukewarm.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:35 pm

There are a ton of threads on here on converting birds' diets.... when you get a spurt of energy, check it out! Lots of opinions and lots of different approaches!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby Mr.Darcy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm

I agree with entranced. I would not go cold turkey!! could have very negative results!! Take your time converting the little guy, but like notscartedtodance said he is very likely just weaned so now seems like the best time to try converting.......good luck

One thing I would suggest and you will see in some of the threads is to get a digital kitchen scale and monitor the birds weight
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby oscar-and-jess » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:49 pm

thanks everyone, i have got the scales already, and he is currently fully weaned, but i do have some of his formular, and ill give you suggestions a go, thanks heaps
Oscar.jpg
this is baby oscar about a week ago
Oscar.jpg (4.89 KiB) Viewed 3092 times
Oscar and Jess
oscar-and-jess
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Fischer Lovebird

Postby GooseBlossom » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:55 pm

You could try crushing the pellets to the size of the seeds and even pulverizing them and mixing with the seeds. Lots of info and good advice elsewhere in the forum.

My lovebird Goose will not eat any moist foods at all. He will eat organic dried veggies. His favorite: Just Tomatoes Organic Peas. They produce dried fruits also.
GooseBlossom
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Blue Peach-Faced Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet