Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Has anyone tried offering soup to their bird?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Has anyone tried offering soup to their bird?

Postby meowingaround » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:02 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:My husband tried that once with his cockatoo. Apparently the bird was not impressed with food that moves and he threw them all over the room. Can you imagine! Yikes!

My tiels are both the type to stare at new foods as if I'm trying to poison them or something.

I have to eat it first.

I have to offer it from my mouth.

I am not putting a mealworm in mouth.

And they'd both be up the curtains before I got it there anyway :lol:
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:
zazanomore wrote:I wonder if they would take to meal worms from the pet store :P

My husband tried that once with his cockatoo. Apparently the bird was not impressed with food that moves and he threw them all over the room. Can you imagine! Yikes!

Hahahaa! That sounds like something the budgies would do.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby captwest » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:29 pm

My amazons think of chicken wing bones as candy!!! :thumbsup: They also love venison and fish.
captwest
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 40
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Head,Yellow Nape,Orange Wing,and Panama Amazons ,Timneh African Greys, Quakers and Cockatiels
Flight: No

Postby Chris&Akilah » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:45 am

I am sure parrots in the wild would take advantage of a good protein source when they came upon one, like birds that died in a nest cavity, eggs and insects. Silkworms would be better than mealworms...mealworms are like crunchy 'filler'. Silkworms are soft and high in calcium.
Chris&Akilah
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Giantmoa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:25 pm

meowingaround wrote:
entrancedbymyGCC wrote:My husband tried that once with his cockatoo. Apparently the bird was not impressed with food that moves and he threw them all over the room. Can you imagine! Yikes!

My tiels are both the type to stare at new foods as if I'm trying to poison them or something.

I have to eat it first.

I have to offer it from my mouth.

I am not putting a mealworm in mouth.

And they'd both be up the curtains before I got it there anyway :lol:

you know, mealworms aren't half bad :lol: especially with chex mix... They do sell mealworms that are dried and cleaned for human consumption, I had some at a fair once just to try it
:gcc: Rainbow
Giantmoa
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Red Moppet » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:48 am

Sputnik will eat anything, as long as it's what I'm trying to eat! :roll:

I had a lovely homemade lentil and brown rice soup on the weekend and he loved it. I don't like him trying my soup when it's canned though because of all the salt.

I've also seen Sputnik chase little flying bugs in the summer and beak at them if they land on the window, but I've never seen him actually eat one.

I cannot imagine flung mealworms around my home - ug!!! :shock: LOL

I sometimes feel like I'm the mom to a two year old, though, and not a budgie. I give Sputnik supper on a side plate on the table where I'm eating. When he's had enough he stomps around in it and starts flinging bits off the table. And that's when I take the plate away! :lol:
Red Moppet
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am

I sometimes feel like I'm the mom to a two year old, though, and not a budgie. I give Sputnik supper on a side plate on the table where I'm eating. When he's had enough he stomps around in it and starts flinging bits off the table. And that's when I take the plate away!

hehe too funny!!! :D :D

ive read a lot about crimson rosellas and they definitly eat insects in the wild... i have been thinking about trying it because its good protein but seriously... bugs?? even if i bought them, not sure i could watch him eat it
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet