Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Broken Tiel Toe

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Broken Tiel Toe

Postby patdbunny » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:25 pm

So glad Willow is doing better.

Birds are amazingly resilient. I got a new little zebra finch about a year ago. Overnight she somehow broke both her thigh bones. Compound fracture both legs. To this day I have no idea how she did it. She was in a cage by herself.

I was going to euthanize her, but she for the most part was acting fine despite two bloody broken legs. She's still with me now. I have modified her cage so she had flat platforms to land on and just making sure she has easy access to food and water. Her roomy is an owl finch that somehow dislocated his hip and no longer has use of his leg on that side. Basically, I have a cage for gimp birds.

They adapt way better than people do to their handicaps. Don't feel sorry for her! You'll just annoy her! :shock:

**Oh yeah - if you vet didn't prescribe an antifungal along w/ the antibiotics, you might want to call and ask them about that.

Roz.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby meowingaround » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:44 am

Well brought Willow back for a follow up visit Saturday, and there was more than one fracture.

And the major fracture was more in the ankle than toe is what I'm understanding. Apparently I broke the middle toe badly as I thought, an open fracture, but when he tried to pull his foot out from under the chair he pulled it so hard it fractured the actual ankle joint. He also said he could have actually ripped his foot off, and actually it was bleeding there the worst when I rushed him to the vet but I was hoping he'd just scraped it in the fight with chair or something.. omg I might passed out if he'd ripped his foot off cause of me o_0

Amazing that at just three weeks he's actual using it almost normally, he babies it. I can tell when he's on my hand he doesn't place as much weight on it, and he holds it up a lot, I'm not sure if that's because it still hurts a lot or it gets tired. I hope it doesn't hurt a lot :(
But the vet said he might always do that, and he might not. That with gentle PE like Michael suggested, he might make an almost complete recovery. I only hope he doesn't have pain.. that's all everything else is gravy :)

Anyway both birds are back in the big cage together as they want to be now, both are doing well Windy has gotten a lil aggressive again, but I'm not a newbie about that anymore ;) I'm sure we'll have things back to normal in no time :thumbsup: ...

Willow finally flew for the first time since this happened.. today (had to get the vet to approve that first as the feet are so crucial in landing) ... and made a safe, kinda graceful landing.
Last edited by meowingaround on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Postby meowingaround » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 am

patdbunny wrote:So glad Willow is doing better.

Basically, I have a cage for gimp birds.

They adapt way better than people do to their handicaps. Don't feel sorry for her! You'll just annoy her! :shock:

**Oh yeah - if you vet didn't prescribe an antifungal along w/ the antibiotics, you might want to call and ask them about that.

He said just use plain old water.. and the preening spray to supplement the dryness of winter the foot isn't as dry as it was and Willow is working at it again :)

I applaud you I don't think I could do that I get way to stressed over the babies, special needs babies take so much more.
“Be like the bird that, pausing in her flight awhile on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, and yet sings, knowing that she hath wings.” Victor Hugo
meowingaround
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet