Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Flying Suits and Harnesses

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Flying Suits and Harnesses

Postby Munchy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:11 pm

What is the difference? And where can you buy nice quality ones? And how do you get your bird to accept them? Do they make them small enough for Half Moon Conures?
Munchy
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Half Moon Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Flying Suits and Harnesses

Postby zazanomore » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Munchy wrote:What is the difference? And where can you buy nice quality ones? And how do you get your bird to accept them? Do they make them small enough for Half Moon Conures?

I know of the Aviator Harness. It's what a lot of people use (I'm ordering one!).

The smallest size they have is petite. This fits 75 - 110 grams, so Lg. Parakeets, Sm. Indian ringnecks, Cockatiels,Sm. Conures (Green cheek, Brown throat). I know that the half moons are pretty small. Do you think he's in this weight group?

Oh and a bonus, Free Shipping World-wide! http://www.theparrotuniversity.com/aviator_harness.php
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Re: Flying Suits and Harnesses

Postby idlepirate » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Yup the aviatior is the best harness as its the easiest to get on and safest. We cant get flightsuits here in the UK but they are mostly like parrot nappies with a leash, when you want to take your bird out and dont want him pooping everywhere and still have him on a leash incase he tries to fly off.
The aviator is for flying your bird, it can poop all over the show as normal but do some flying practice.great for excercise and fun :) there is another forum member that always posts videos of his african grey outdoors on his aviator. thats a great example of what you can do with it. you can buy an extention cord so the bird can fly longer distances but not get taken off by the wind or fly off completely. The aviators leash is made to withstand the force if the bird was to fly off suddenly and not strain him.Whereas I think the flightsuit wouldnt take the force as well.

I have an aviator for lorenzo size xsmall, which is for the sunconure size and lorenzo is about that. not sure how big a halfmoon is, they always look bigger in photos :) . if its any smaller then a sunconure id go with a petite size like zazanomore mentioned or else you will risk it being too loose.

I do warn you though, they can be a mission to get on. Ive had mine for a month now and im really struggling. I just cant get it over his wings without him freaking out or attacking my hands. over the head is no problem as ive turned it into a game but the rest is chaos. its very hard on smaller birds!

I have also heard flightsuits are sometimes not the most hygenic choice, theres been cases where birds have caught an infection from sitting in their poop like that. but there are ways to put them on properly (plus you have to keep washing them out or putting a piece of cotton or something in them).
Personally aviator is the best thing to get, for flying (the cord can also spin around the birds body more easily when they turn). I feel that flightsuits are just ----not very parroty. its like dressing up a dog in princess outfit :mrgreen: its not natural.

ps- michael has a great video of him teaching Killi how to wear the aviator, thats a great instruction video on how to get the parrot used to it but not all parrots are that easy :) im trying to practice all winter so that by summer I can have it on HOPEFULLY and take him out.

:pirate:
idlepirate
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet