Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seizures?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seizures?

Postby anna83 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:00 am

I dropped Loki at the vet last night. Vet confirmed that she had infact had a seizure based on the symptoms. I asked about the x-rays and was told that these are cheap (and reliable) option for looking for metal particles or foreign objects, and to look at the internal organs. I brought up the possibility of getting blood tests for heavy metals and was told that these tests are very expensive and would only be done once other things had been ruled out.

The vet called today and explained that they had taken x-rays and blood, and these results showed a respiratory problem. TOTALLY NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING! The vet agreed, because Loki had no signs of respiratory problems. He explained that the bacteria associated with this is responsible for the diarrhea and toxins which are being released are the most likely cause for the seizures.

We were told that she didnt respond well to the anesthetic so he is reluctant to do anything which will require this again. So she will be getting 'nebulized', to treat the respiratory problem. This will take about a week, and then it will take about another month at home for her to recover.

So hopefully this should be the end of it, and we have found the cause of her symptoms. I'll let you all know how things are looking after her week at the vets.

Loki :gcc:
Abrocious :swaying:
anna83
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Sulfur-crested Cockatoo
Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Postby kaylayuh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 am

I'm glad you've found out what was wrong with him. Hopefully everything will be okay once the treatments are done!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 pm

I'll be thinking about her and hoping she feels well soon!
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby zazanomore » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 pm

She'll be in my thoughts!
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby anna83 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Thank you everyone, your support is encouraging and very much appreciated.

My only concern is that this is the second diagnosis we have had (for the diarrhea) and I just hope that this is the end of it. The vet explained that because birds are so understudied, it can be difficult to find an exact cause of their illness. Also, so many things can make them sick, its hard to rule out everything (and costly to try).

Fingers and toes crossed.
anna83
Parrotlet

Sulfur-crested Cockatoo
Lovebird

Postby Margaret » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

anna83 wrote:Fingers and toes crossed.

:thumbsup: You have it. Good luck!
Margaret
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiel

Postby anna83 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:39 pm

Just picked Loki up from the vets. He said that she responded well to the nebuliser treatment, however she does have some damge to her respiratory system and it is a problem that we will have to manage (will need to continue getting nebuliser treatment for the rest of her life). He said that many birds live a full and healthy life even with the condition. She should continue to improve in the coming weeks now that she is back home.

Thank you everyone for your support!
anna83
Parrotlet

Sulfur-crested Cockatoo
Lovebird

Postby kaylayuh » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm glad to hear that her condition is managable and that you got her the help she needed. Hopefully she'll be feeling 100% soon!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby Miramis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:24 am

Really pleased to hear that she is doing better, best of luck to the both of you! I also want to say a thank you for sharing this with us. Especially as a "newbie" I feel it is important to read "real" people and parrots experiences to be able to learn as much as possible. All things are not in books after all.

So, thank you again and all the best! :)

/Nina
Miramis
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet