Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

No Name - Broken Foot?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: No Name - Broken Foot?

Postby patdbunny » Wed May 11, 2011 9:10 pm

$70.48

That's a deal.

Double check w/ the vet what the stool samples check for. I think just parasites. If that's the case, unless your birds were outdoor aviary birds w/ access to dirt floors, then the stool samples aren't necessary.

Cloaca and cloana swabs would be more useful.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby kaylayuh » Wed May 11, 2011 9:34 pm

patdbunny wrote:
$70.48

That's a deal.

Double check w/ the vet what the stool samples check for. I think just parasites. If that's the case, unless your birds were outdoor aviary birds w/ access to dirt floors, then the stool samples aren't necessary.

Cloaca and cloana swabs would be more useful.

The actual vet visit was $62, I spent $8.48 on a bag of Harrison's Power Treats. She decided doing swabs wasn't really necessary because everything else seemed to be in order, stool samples were done about a month ago, and they all had well bird visits around the time I brought them home. I'll definitely do swabs at his next check and have swabs done for Cheney Bird and Pigpen done on their next well bird visit.

She did say he was a little thin for what she's seen in budgies. He's 35 grams and from what I've googled, that seems on the high end of average, so I'm not sure what super budgies she's been seeing.

As far as the vet tech said, stool samples are just parasites. I did ask if one bird had something whether she'd prescribe to treat all three as they're in very close contact, and she did say that she would. So the next time I go in, if either of the other two have something, she'll treat him as well.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu May 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Glad he's OK! I had a similar experience with Scooter, although he wasn't nearly as badly bruised and it was just the toe that got caught -- it got pinched between the food dish and the food dish holder when I closed the feeder door. Since then, he's actually learned to readjust his feet so they aren't between the cup and the holder, which actually impressed me! Anyway, that's not so bad as vet bills go, and peace of mind is worth something. Sometimes it's not some much the extent of the injury but the extent of the pain itself with the concern that the discomfort will prevent normal behavior including eating and drinking.

I wonder if he's on the lean side because he's flighted and active? I'll wager the norm is driven by perch potatoes, especially when it comes to budgies.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby kaylayuh » Thu May 12, 2011 8:21 pm

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:I wonder if he's on the lean side because he's flighted and active? I'll wager the norm is driven by perch potatoes, especially when it comes to budgies.

That's what I was thinking. He does laps around the apartment multiple times a day. He's never sitting still unless he's sleeping, and since he's flights are grown in now, he doesn't nap nearly as much. He doesn't look underweight, nor does he look overweight.

Pigpen is also about 27 grams, much lighter than No Name. She's just as active and a bit smaller than he is. She actually looks a little more portly because of the way she holds her feathers. I couldn't even imagine seeing a budgie weight 50 grams. Just thinking it makes me imagine a little weeble wobble that can barely perch!

The swelling on his foot also is down today, though he still seems a little tender with it. He favors his right side, but has been using that foot much more. I'm thinking the pain and swelling has to do with the bruise he has. His foot looks a weird kind of purple in some places. He's not acting like he's in pain, so everything should be fine. He also hasn't been going near the feeder doors unless they're completely opened.
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet